Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BassMouth87

First Intruder Attempt

thread the stinger line throughout the front of the upturned eye of the octopus hook

then the stinger-line will be in line with the hook shank

personally i dont see marabou is good option for intruder style flies

it doesn't keep profile in current

pin out= flattens out

it also cover any material under it

Thanks for the response,

I think the next few intruder style flies I tie will be with some arctic fox and other materials, I will be sure to posts the results.

Yeah man

There is tons of info out there... Not all good

Experiment and find what works for you

Most important is what the fly looks like wet and in current

Big profile lots of movement... With the least amount of materials

KHoss knows what he is talking about, ties some incredible flies that work.

A good material (long flowing hackle) is Rhea, another is Ostrich Spey (its a burnt feather), and being Canadians we can use the norty hackle, it is $$$ tho so i rekon practicing with marabou is fine till you want to commit to more costly materials.

The Ostrich Spey and Rhea are available at http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying.html

regular old ostrich (you can find is super cheap on ebay) works perfect

the fluffy fibers may look bad in the vidse, but they streamline when wet

go to your shop and open the packages and inspect the feathers.... you want stiff at the base transititoning to soft

Jam metioned some more expensive materials... which are awesome

but don't think that you NEED to spend $$$$ to tie effective and good look patterns

you mentioned arctic fox... trying spinning it in a loop

like this- http://oregonflyfishingblog.com/2009/12/29/tying-shank-style-intruders/

(that link as a different style of rigging and uses some $$$ that aren't mandatory.... just look at how the AF is used)

Now, this is really good. If you do wish to use Marabou in a shanked pattern, this is the solution to the issues mentioned, not only a nice and simple pattern to tie but an absolute fish smasher! Maybe not a 'true intruder' but it is a shanked pattern and awesome with wriggly marabou, yum!

KHoss: Thanks for the break down...Reading through that link really made me understand what an intruder is going for as far as creating a large profile...I plan on sitting down tonight and giving it another go. I will post the results. I have plenty of good ostrich herl and some other materials to play with...going to try and stay away from the marabou for an entire pattern.

Jam: Thank you for the pattern, added to my list of flies to tie!

Well KHoss and Jam I am at your mercy. Here is my 4th attempt at a decent intruder. The posts are pink UV ice dub, on top of the back post is some purple arctic fox in a dubbing loop followed my some pink mallard flank tied in and splayed out and then some pink ostrich herl. The body is pink crystal flash. Second post is pink UV ice dub, purple arctic fox and then purple ostrich herl splayed out, pink UV ice dub head.

post-45233-0-60986400-1358467631_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-43417000-1358467638_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-48510900-1358467645_thumb.jpg

Side note:

When using JC nails I have noticed that many people use them differently. In the link you posted KHoss he ties them in after the arctic fox post facing backwards, and he uses fairly large nails I noticed so that when the fly is seen from behind there is a fair bit of the nail exposed to imitate eyes. I have noticed lots of patterns tying in the eyes on the second post. Any addition information, tips, things to keep in mind ect when tying in JC eyes would be appreciated.

looking good!

only thing... i'd swap your stations in terms of amount of material... the fuller up front, sparser to the rear

good color combo pink in the rear and purple up front

the larger JC flared in the rear imitates squid/prawn eyes

when fished on the swing, the JC up by the eye of the shank isn't really visible to a downstream fish

i like the progress! I think you got it now! Yep just make the front construction and 'umbrella' a bit more and hand me a few :P

Still trying to perfect my intruder patterns. Here are two I tied up yesterday (they both have been swim tested):

post-45233-0-03543800-1358818060_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-94023700-1358818071_thumb.jpg

I am still messing around with a few new materials and trying to get my proportion and the flow of materials correct. I plan on trying out a few more tonight and will post the results.

Jam: You are always welcome in my fly box;-)

I think I finally got a decent intruder tied. This is easily my favorite out of the entire bunch.

post-45233-0-90109400-1358822710_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-67812600-1358822719_thumb.jpgpost-45233-0-70695200-1358822728_thumb.jpg

Back Post: Pink UV Ice Dub

Back Collar: Pink Peacock Herl over Pink Rabbit Fur from Zonker Strip

Back Eye: Jungle Cock Nails

Body: Pink Krystal Flash

Front Post: Pink UV Ice Dub

Front Collar: Pink Lady Amherst Feather over Pink Rabbit Fur from Zonker Strip

Head: Pink UV Ice Dub

I took the fly for a swim test and the action is very different from the other "intruders that I have tied. I think I am getting happier with the pattern now that I have a slight hang of things.