Fly Tying
5shot

Help With Fly Patterns for Brown Trout (Lake)

I did a little quick reading on the lake, and if there's a viable brown trout fishery, nobody seems to be talking about it. Impoundments change over time, and what was true 40 or 50 years ago wouldn't necessarily be true today. One way to find out is to check the inlets in the fall - anything that's spawning size is going to gravitate there once the season rolls around. If there are kokanees present in the inlets, all the better - some big deceivers in olive/red might do the trick. I've seen big bull trout follow a kokanee run, and I'd imagine browns would do the same. If there are small stocked rainbows, etc. hanging around the inlets, they'd also attract browns. Another way (and I realize this is heresy - remember, this is strictly for research) is to fish the lake with live minnows and see what shows up. (assuming it's legal) Big browns are largely piscivorous, and rarely turn their noses up at a minnow. Whatever you find out, IMO, fly fishing that lake is gonna be tough and probably seasonal at best.

Yeah...I know it is going to take a lot of effort and will probably only be a worthwhile effort in spring and fall. I like to fish, even whe I am not catching anything, so I don't mind giving it a go. the ice will be off the lake in another 6-8 weeks, then we will see what happens.

I have seen some 24"+ fish taken out of there, but they were trolling gear.

I will definitely be giving it all I've got this spring.

And it will be so rewarding when you do catch. I fished a place over 12months never seeing a fish let alone catching one, but when it clicked wow. And some of the fish were BIG and i was the only person ever down there. Keep at it.