Fly Tying
bowmike

Random acts of kindness with tying

Hello all,

I just thought say thanks to a member on another site. He had purched all of a friends fathers hunting an fishing equipment after he had passed away. He did not need the material and donated it to me to help with my business. When I got the box I was shocked. After pulling out 3 uponed cabelas waterproof guide boxes, I picked up a Regal Vice. I had just replaced old Betsy with a Terra Rotary vise. A wopping 25 dollar vice, and will now be tying on a vice worth 10 times more. The ammount of material in this box was unbelievable as well. There was cdc, estaz, chenille, marabou, 3 necks, multiple pheasant tail rumps, you name it it was in there. THe member would not take anything for the material and will not let me give him anything in return.

I always try to perform random acts of kindness as well but that was the nicest thing anyone has done for me. I have gave guys flies that were pounding trout on the stream, donated fly boxes with flies to groups, and set up a few online auctions to benifit a young girl with cancer. Giving back to the sport you love is often more rewardin than taking from it. I will expand on his donation and give away a few more flies, and boxes.

I find that amongst all the outdoorsmen, fly tiers and fly fisherfolk definitely seem to be the most giving.I have been on the receiving end of flyfolks generosity and I try to get involved when I think I can contribute something worthwhile. It's a far cry from the snobbery that is associated with our sport isn't it?

Murray

There are snobs but most guys like to see others have success more than having it themselves. If I am doing good on a pattern I will give some to a guy and let him know. If he is hounding me on what I am using or being inconsiderate, I will not be generous at all. I appreciate getting tip/tricks, new deadly patterns, so why not do the same.

Archery guys are similiar. I think that with a lot of the more "skill" sports you will see the same reaction.

I bought some flies from bowmike awhile back. They are great looking flies so I'm sure he will put those new materials and tools to good use.

Dave

I wanted to buy a used Ultra light flyrod, say 2/3 wt & this guy responded saying he had both. I told him I'd consider them & that I was a disabled vet. Turns out he was too & he said "Which 1 do you like & what's your address?"

I read that PM but it didn't register, so I signed off the forum (not this 1) & I was on another forum reading different posts. When I thought "what did that say?" So I signed back onto that forum & couldn't believe my eyes.

Needless to say I sent him my address, he sent me a St.Croix Avid 7' 3wt with/rodcase, a couple of bags (fishpond & another can't recall name)

To this day I am overwhelmed with gratitude, it is my absolute Favorite rod, not to mention my most expensive rod & everytime I catch something with this rod I remember this wonderful & generous guy I have never met.

He doesn't tie flies & I have been working on some for him, as a Thank You. But honestly I can never repay his his generosity & I don't really mean in a material way..the feeling I had when I re-read the PM & I received the package I don't believe I can duplicate for him & I will never forget him for it..

What a kind & generous act,,,,,,,& if he happens to frequent this site all I can say is "I truly am forever Greatful for your kind & generous act, & I really am working on the flies, I'm just slow"