Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
skinnyminded

work in progress

So I am working with the EPS and was using to much fibers. So I started with a smaller baitfish. Now I think I went to sparse. ? Also I put together this critter. Be nice I'm three months new. Plus only have a camera phone.

post-47451-0-43317900-1364104489_thumb.jpg

post-47451-0-73339700-1364104577_thumb.jpg

post-47451-0-98239500-1364104628_thumb.jpg

I think they look great ... Especially since you just started, you will find what you do and don't like about your patterns, the more material you use the slower your sink rate will be and if you use to much you can eliminate it all together. I am guessing EPS stands for the Enrico Puglisi Fibers

Looks great! The minnow isn't too sparse at all - don't forget, the fibers will compress on the retrieve, giving the fly a more opaque look. Once you get a little more experience under your belt, you'll be able to get the sink rate you want by making adjustments on the fly. There are plenty of occasions when you'll want something that rides high in the water column, and you can get that by using a denser fly, or even adding dolls' eyes. It pays to be ready for all kinds of situations. Anyway, you're making remarkable progress.

Skinny, those impressionistic crab flies also suggest juvenile flounder, which most gamefish will eat when they get the chance. BTW - IME, a fly that represents a variety of food sources will usually nail you a lot more fish than one that imitates a specific species.

, a fly that represents a variety of food sources will usually nail you a lot more fish than one that imitates a specific species.

Good point PJ, I think that is why a craft fur shrimp I tie works well. I have fished it like a bait fish and a shrimp and catch fish both ways.

Wouldn't have thought about it that way. I have seen similar flies at the shop. So maybe I should try fishing it a couple different ways. I'll let you guys know how it works as soon as this crazy wind lays down. Thanks for all the good insight.

Most of your gamefish, that eat fish will eat a baby stingray .... just throwin' it out there