Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Built a fly box

Nice box and nice flies too.

I'm not clear how you mounted the white foam. Did you glue long white foam strips on top of the green foam and then came back and cut slits in the white strip? It looks like the green is showing through on the slits so the cuts must be wider than just a razor blade cut.

I've got a similar box I picked up at a flea market and plan to make a similar fly box out of it. I like the looks of yours so was curious just how it's made it.

Thanks

Nice box and nice flies too.

I'm not clear how you mounted the white foam. Did you glue long white foam strips on top of the green foam and then came back and cut slits in the white strip? It looks like the green is showing through on the slits so the cuts must be wider than just a razor blade cut.

I've got a similar box I picked up at a flea market and plan to make a similar fly box out of it. I like the looks of yours so was curious just how it's made it.

Thanks

Negative. I glued the white strips to the green sheets, yes. The green lines you think are "showing through" are actually lines I put across the white strips with a green Sharpie and straight edge. My thinking was that the slits are so slim/tight they can be hard to see, so the green stripes are like "landing strips" for the hooks/flies I am trying to put in the box. The foam strips glued to the foam sheet is with cyanoacrylic glue (super glue) and holds very well. The foam sheets to the plastic box I did with 5 minute epoxy.

Thanks Cream. That's a good idea. I have one of those C&F boxes with just slits and you are right, those slits are almost impossible to see at times.

Well Jeff, thanks for the tip. I finally got around to making a real flybox, actually two of them. Previously, I've just relied on jumbled up flies loose in a box. I like these, I hope I can keep up with the neatness, it makes selection on the water much easier.

Kirk

Saltwater box.

DSC_7879_zpsa614d3ca.jpg

Freshwater box.

DSC_7881_zpsfddb81bf.jpg