Fly Tying
throwinflys

MICHIGAN TROUT OPENER! whats in your box?

Well I didn't let the snow stop me. I stumbled and trudged my way through at times waist high snow. Not only was hiking hard but the snow spooked all of the fish. As soon as you'd take a step and crash through the crust of the snow the fish would scatter. When we did get close without spooking them the fishing was slow. The fish were very lethargic. I think we got six total and all were dinks. I think it's a little early. I did see a few hendricksons flying around. I'm heading south to the Ausable area in the morning to throw a few feathers.

Undertow

Just got back, it was kind of a weird opener for me. Due to wader integrity issues, I was limited to the shoreline. Nothing was really hatching on the north branch though so I didn't miss out. Found a nice beaver pond on the big creek and made my camp for the day, watched the worm dunkers on the opposite shore make fools of themselves.

(Guys, if a fish is rising to a bug, slapping a bobber and worm on top of the rise generally does not work... and to top it off they had bobbers on 9 foot fiberglass fly rods, I have never seen such an inefficient casting system in my life. The max casting range seemed to be around the pole length. Someone explain this to me, is this setup common?)

Anyways, I stayed generally quiet and let my fly rod speak for itself. There were two distinctive types of midges hatching, the adult form had either an apple green abdomen or all white. Don't know what they were specifically, but definitely midges. Anyways, the brook trout looked like something out of shark week, the feeding frenzy was just amazing, lasted about 2 hours. Saw 2 BWO, 0 Hendricksons. Just midges...

Sunday the mosquito hatch was on and the rising was sporadic at best, had some luck with a dropper rig under a small Humpy as an indicator. Wife wants to go back north later this week and see if we can hit a hatch, she unfortunately had to work this weekend, but just finished off a nice trout dinner and was happy with that.

As to what was in my box... Not the right thing. I had to make an emergency tying session saturday afternoon, but it seemed to work. I also lost a significant amount of them to branches above and below the water. Size 16, white hackle, and white or apple green abdomen.