Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wolfie2nd

sink tip help

I've come to realize that I'm not getting down deep enough to get the big boys. So I picked up some quick sink level line but I have no clue how to set it up.. How long should it be? Can I connect it to my full intermediate line? I'm looking to get down like 7-9' here's what I bought.

post-48147-0-07917400-1368792180_thumb.jpg

You need to connect it to a running line. (not your present line) One of the other guys can probably be more specific - I don't have great deal of experience with that kind of setup. I do know that you may need to put in some practice time with it. Those things can be a bear to cast if you're not used to them.

As the man says, this is best as a SH with running line. The pack gives 30ft as 330grains. So there are plenty of charts gloating around google that gives grain weight as aftm weight. I think it is about an 8 weight but check. I use a head of 420grains on my 10weight rod and use a cheap 5weight intermediate DT line as my running line.

I lost the entire tapered tip off a floating shooting head a while back. I spliced in 8' of Rio TI 14. I use a 4' 20# mono leader. It casts good and, when I fish the sink tip up to the boat, I can lift the entire tip and leader out of the water. I can easily get down 7' or so with a weighted fly.

Weight your fly to where it sinks about the same rate as the sink tip for better depth holding.

I have several different lengths of tips for different situations. I rig them on furled leaders between the butt section of the furled leader and the tippet section.

I fish sinking shoots heads hear in the California surf all the time. What I use is LC-13 by Cortland. It is straight like that line but heavier. I fish a 7wt with 20ft of LC-13. I use a running line Rio powerflex I like a lot. Just make sure to get the right diameter running line for your rod. I am using the .024". Again this is for a 7wt rod so you will need to change depending on the rod weight. Here is a great article on how to make your loops. http://www.danblanton.com/blog/getting-looped/. Pretty easy to make and they hold really well. I have been use the same head for a few years now. Casting the line will take practice it is really a big transition from a floating line. But once you get it down you will be able to shoot line really far. With some more info like rod, fish, and general fishing goals might be able to help more with a set up for you.