Fly Tying
Graham

Pujic DMT Stonefly

Hey Guy’s, I thank you all very much for your support and kind remarks.

Shoe,

Maybe I did sell my soul to the devil? Perhaps? I’m still trying to figure this one out, because it looks like I didn’t give enough credit, where credit was due. Let me explain; Nick Pujic e-mailed me an incredible close up photo he took of a stonefly. I just had to try and tye it. That same week I saw a method of making legs for stonefly’s on a website that caters to “realistic Flytyers”, a website that I had signed on as a member very recently. In fact I was directed to that web site by Becky an FTF member (David Martin’s wife) upon posting the picture of the Dobson fly I copied from Will’s photo. Apparently having a large fly preying on a smaller fly had been done before, although I had never seen it done before. This was the first feeling of “had I done something wrong?” Well, this realistic tyers website members are mostly famous masters of the craft of tying realistic’s. I was honored to have been accepted and knew from viewing posts that every detail of fly’s posted would be criticized, which is what those posting fly’s desired.

Even though I do not view other peoples flies with such a critical eye, as long as they look fishable, I was not happy with the stonefly I tied, the antennae are too fat, stick out the front of the head not the sides, didn’t leave enough room on the hook to make a nice head, the wing cases are too stiff to lay down flatter, too stiff to curve around the thorax, the abdomen is way to fat as well as the tails. I intentionally decided to post the fly on the FTF because it took so damn long to tie and I wanted to hear something nice, kind and supportive. My first post called it a Stonefly on Steroids, because the legs are so fat they looked like muscular little pigs legs. I was hopping to make another attempt using the original steroidal fly for reference with the hope of posting something really awesome on the Realistic Tyers web site.

Well, because I posted my first attempt on the FTF without giving enough credit for the thread-over-mono technique which I saw on the link posted to the FTF from Becky, I’ve been banned from the other site. Honestly, I did not believe the fly was worthy of having David’s name associated with until it was perfected.

I guess I’ll just keep spilling my guts. Making friends in the fly tying community can be difficult. Back in 1998 I went to a fly fishing show at the Long Beach convention center, a pretty large show. I was visiting a friend who worked the G-Loomis booth, we both learned to tye fly’s together and fished weekly together. I was showing him a box of fly’s I tied a few days before, when someone looking over my shoulder asked who I was and would I come back tomorrow and tye for the FFF (Federation of Fly Fishers) at the show. Man, I was thrilled. I actually tyed there three years in a row and made some good friends. Some of the tyers had come in from across a number of different states. We all got along great, including tyers I met the previous years, until; Ray Chang, Owner of Solitude Flies came over and mentioned a bit too loudly that I was in a different league than the other guy’s, and could he feature me a tyer in his catalog. Well, I was immediately hated and got the cold shoulder from the tyers who had been so friendly minutes before. I decided not to try and get into the business. When I left that show I came home packed up my tying stuff and didn’t tie again for several years, except for a box to take to Tierra del Fuego in 2002. Being a person who likes working on detailed projects, I spent my time making a fantastic N scale railroad set for my son, which consumes most of my garage. I didn’t start tying again until the FTF website rekindled my old passion and I get tremendous enjoyment sitting at my vise, it’s almost kind of therapeudic. Maybe I just need a thicker skin, but this past week I’ve though about boxing up the fly tying stuff again. I’m now wondering if the egg’s I tied fro the egg-swap had been done by someone before, who will want credit. From reading some recent post’s on the FTF, where I have been invited to fish with my new on-line friends, almost all of which I’ve never met, keeps the feelings of fly tying alive and a smile on my face. I truly enjoyed the enthusiasm of new tyer Skunk who posted his first ever attempt at tying on-line.

Thanks again and I mean it. Sorry for the long winded message, that said, I don’t feel like I sold my soul anymore and if I remain banned from a realistic tyers website, so be it.

Thanks Brothers,

Graham

QUOTE (Graham @ Jan 20 2005, 02:01 PM)
I don’t feel like I sold my soul anymore and if I remain banned from a realistic tyers website, so be it.

Seems to be their loss... oh, and our gain cool.gif

What's next? Someone posted a recipe for a Hellgramite. dunno.gif bugeyes.gif

copyrite infringement on a fly tying technique bs.gif , if he didnt want it used, whyd he post instructions. anyways, shoes right, our gain......its a great fly btw

Graham, i love the flies that you tie and i would hate to see you pack everything away just because some idiot got their panties in a wad.

Just seeing the things that you tie is an inspiration for me to try to tie better,and im sure im not the only one on this site that feels that way.

I agree with shoe, their loss, our gain.

Ps. feel free to copy anything i tie, it will do me good to see the way it is supposed to look laugh.gif

Graham

I don't care how good or bad you tie, I'll still talk to you. Besides, the way I tie I can use friends like you.

BFR