Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dirts

A lucky day on the Prairie River

Several years back I went to the Prairie River for some trout fishing. I was accompaning by my good friend who was a was a deputy. I was on the City force. It was extremely hot. Just before leaving town I stopped in the old Woolworths store and bought a golden hairs ear nymph.

We had worked the pools. In fact we sat in them to cool off. My friend continued his journey down the river. I worked my way over to a wooden dam and was wondering over there and here and checking things out. This was a time to reflect on the time my father and I spend at this same location. I stood on the bottom log and my nymph was dangling in the whirlpool by the bottom of the log and was going round and round and then all of a sudden I felt the tug. I landed a beautiful sixteen inch brown trout. My partner couldn't believe the disrespectful manner of my success. We laughed the whole trip home on our comparison of our fishing methods and the calamity of it all. I presented it to my father as a gift. When I told him where I was when I caught it I could see the glow. He cherished it to the last bite.