Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cassady

Hatches II (book) version question

Howdy Folks,

After discussing an eventful trip to the Delaware (one successful day, and one day where the fish were rising steadily but ignored everything I offered to them), I have been advised by a friend to read _Hatches II_ by Al Caucci and Bob Nastasi. I went on to Amazon to purchase a copy, and saw not only is the book out of print, but that there are a number of editions:

1975 - this is the original version (Hatches, as compared to Hatches II);

1986 - perhaps the first edition of Hatches II;

1988 - another version or edition - i have seen versions of this on sale noted as 'book 2';

2004 - the 'twentieth anniversary edition.'

My question is, what are the differences between the more recent versions of Hatches II? The reason I ask is because there are *significant* price difference between used copies of the 1986 ($7), 1988 ($50) and 2004 ($150) versions.

Thanks in advance for your help,

cass

Unless you are a collector of first edition fly fishing books I would suggest one of the newer editions. Buy the book that best suits you budget. I own the 2004 edition which is a reprint of the 1986 book. It has the quick reference regional charts, (east, mid-west etc.), and better tying instructions. The 2004 edition originally retailed for $24.95. Good luck and Tight Lines.cool.png

Thanks for the reply, FBN. While I tend to collect books, I'm not a collector in that sense, so I will definitely pick up one of the newer editions... probably the 1986 version, unless someone convinces me that the differences between the 1986 and 2004 are *that* significant. It'd take some convincing, 'cause the price difference is pretty substantial!