Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

C&F Bobbin...

Well fellas (and gals), its time for me to buy a new bobbin or two (broke one of mine last night). So, i bought a few fly tyin mags last night (that was bound to happen anyways), and there was a review for a c&f bobbin and a "wishbone easy thread bobbin". the latter i can tell already i wouldn't enjoy to use.

that being said, anyone use the c&f bobbin? thoughts? is it worth the 40 dollar pricetag? I'll prolly have to buy sight unseen, so how large is it? do they make a midge size? is it comfortable to you in your hand? holds good constant tension? does the ceramic tube hold up? i'm just wondering if anyone has experience with em, and i'd like to hear what yall think before i drop 80-120 bucks on 2 or 3.

steve

Its your money! biggrin.gif

I like the Tiemco ceramic bobbins and just bought one from DR Slick. Not a bad bobbin for the price.

I want one.

I really like those c&f tools (except the 3in1 tweezers, they're a piece of shit and don't work). I really want the hair stacker, but they're not on sale individually.

they all are pricey.

I suspect I'll buy that *(vise???)* bobbin next time I have $40 to piss away (tax return time?).

mgj

"...review for a c&f bobbin and a "wishbone easy thread bobbin". the latter i can tell already i wouldn't enjoy to use. "

M-MAN,

If you don't mind me asking, M-MAN, why would you say you wouldn't enjoy using a 'Wishbone Bobbin'? Have you had one in-hand or are you basing your opinion solely on the review you read?

Hywel

I use the C and F bobbin, it is very comfortable to use and would absolutely work when you tie midges. Thread control is pretty nice. I am still not sure if they are worth the $40, but they are built to last forever. I do find myself looking for my Rite bobbin when I am looking for better thread control. The Rite bobbin is still about $20-$25.

the wishbone bobbin has the thread travelling outside of the bobbin til the very end of the barrel and you control the tension of the thread by your fingers pressing it against the barrel. just too different for me. I guess when you're used to something, the thought of radical change like that doesn't seem appealing. The review was actually in favor of the bobbin itself, but looking at the bobbin and the mode of using it, I can tell right out that i wouldn't enjoy it. not saying that it might even be the optimal way of controlling tension, but too radical for me.

steve