Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gregmuri

Two Pheasant Carcasses

A friend of mine just dropped of a rooster and hen ringneck pheasant (minus the meat). What is the best thing to do with these? Dry them? Pluck them?

I'd skin & pin them both with two it'll take some time but it'll be worth it.

Very carefully remove the skin from the carcass, the skin will tear easily so take it slow. Get a board or something of the like to pin the skin to. Pin the skin to the board using nails or pins and stretch it a little as you go, until completely pinned down. Get whatever fat and or meat of the skin and sprinkle salt or borax, (I like borax) over the skin. Let dry and store in gallon freezer bags.

Salt them on the skin side. (But remove any excess of fat and meat first)

Lay them on news paper feather side down an pour over a lot of salt. Cover them completely.

Then wait 2 weeks, wash them with a mild hair shampoo, clean the shampoo away with lots of Luke warm water.

Hang the skins for drying.

After they have been totally dried pack them in a zip lock bag.

If you wants to be 100% sure all bugs been removed, freeze the skins 48 hours thaw them 24 hours and freeze again minimum 48 hours.

Lots of work, but you will find the material more special afterwards, even these standard pheasants...

Good luck

A friend of mine just dropped of a rooster and hen ringneck pheasant (minus the meat). What is the best thing to do with these? Dry them? Pluck them?

Send them to me, for proper disposal.... lol.