Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flat Rock native

Kenduardo's Pink Weasel- Large Tube Jelly Slider

Will put into fly data base. Basis popper-slider construction with:

Rattle built from .17HMR shell casing, glass beads, steel .17 bb, crimp neck of shell

Eyes built from gold craft bead-plastic, burned weed-eater mono, black Sharpie

Legs bead stretch cord

Tailing materials: Large domestic turkey, white bucktail, silver xmas fine mylar tinsel, pink bucktail

Body -pink and white Schlappen, Gel pen grip from Office Depot

DSC06967Bst.JPG

That looks large and heavy enough to be an ultra-light spinning lure. Could be a good bass bait ... but is it too heavy to fly cast?

It will throw with my 8wgt and lighter rods with a sinking tip or sinking line.

It weighs about as much as a Double Bunny when the rabbit strips are soaked. Akin to casting a wet sock on the end of your line

I used the ammo casing because the fly rattles are not cheap but I may need to make it lighter for more applications.

It should be real tough and resist the toothy critters and should work good when fishing from watercraft which is mostly what I do.

And I have a 12wgt Sage for Saltwater use which will handle it without trouble.

I have friends and relatives that will no doubt want to try it with spinning gear, too.

"That looks large and heavy enough to be an ultra-light spinning lure. Could be a good bass bait ... but is it too heavy to fly cast?"

It weighs .2 ounce on a postal scale, but in tanks sinks so it should be called a diver when using ammo cases for rattle. Tied on a plastic tube with manufactured rattle and some poly yarn & foam plug it floats like a perfect slider and does not register on the scale. Either should cast fine if one doesn't need a lot of false casts to hit the target zone