Fly Tying
citori525

Feed back for a beginner

Well it's cool and all to have a pretty fly that looks professional, but I'm to cheap to invest heavily into the resources. My main goal is just to catch fish with the flies I tie. Thanks lykos for the info though. I'll be sure to check out their pages and I'll probably keep on posting more pics along the way. I'm going to have to buy a couple dozen fly boxes though, I've already filled up my extras. I'm really enjoying this activity so far. I cannot wait for summer to test out the flies.

Being a guide, my flies need to look presentable to clients as well as the fish. For myself, anything on a hook can catch fish. The biggest thing I think beginners have to do is getting used to thread control. With good thread control, your materials will go on much easier and consistent. When I teach, the first lesson is always about thread - wrapping, strength, uniformity. For your first flies, I'd say you've done a great job. I agree with the other about proportion, especially the head. The tool that will help you the most for good consistency, especially the heads, is a GOOD pair of scissors. Every fly you tie you will see improvement. I've always said that the day I stop learning something in this sport is the day that I'm 6' under. Keep up the good work and DON'T get frustrated. If you do, get up and walk away for a while then come back to it!

I remember back in the early 70s when I was about 8 years old I got some fly fishing book from the library and looked at the black and white images of some of the flies. I put an Eagle Claw hook (built in leader and all) in my Dad's tool vise, wrapped hair from the family St. Bernard with my Mom's sewing thread, and if the timing where right would catch bluegill all day long with that thing. Would it catch a hook weary trout in a catch and release stream? Doubtful, but that's not what I was after.

I think that just about any fly will catch a fish, just not any fish. Bluegill and the like tend to be less selective about flies than some other fish. A trout that's been stung by a hook or two might be less apt to take a fly that doesn't look quite right. Bass seem to have serious mood swings, sometimes they hit anything that strikes their interest and looks meaty and other time will ignore anything other than the perfect fly. If you're trout fishing during a hatch you almost have to match it, otherwise they may hit anything from a wooly bugger to a grasshopper.

So just have realistic expectations with your flies. Until your skill level increases just don't expect to take trout from a stream with lots of fishing pressure during a caddis hatch. While your working on creating that perfectly symmetrical Elk Hair Caddis the bluegill will be more than happy to pounce on whatever you toss their way.

my only tip that i can throw at ya is the first streamers i tried to tie, i had a very very very hard time trying to whip finish them. the head build up on your streamers look just like my first ones. mine had their issues because my whip finishes were terrible maybe thats where you should focus. hope that might help.