Fly Tying
GG34

More Epoxy Help

I epoxied my spoon flies and they turned out great. I used 5 minute epoxy. I've never worked with it before but after 24 hours it still feels a little sticky. The epoxy itself is hard though. Cure time is supposed to be 1 hour. Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

That can be the result of a couple of things. You may not have gotten the mix exactly in the right proportions, humidity can cause it, or the epoxy may have been old & the chemical reaction not quite as complete. Hard to tell usually.

If it doesn't change, which it may not, give them a coat of Sally Hansens or similar clear nail polish. That should take care of the tackiness. wink.png

Sounds good. The recipe calls for a coat of sally Hanson but I want sure I should do it yet. I'll go ahead and coat them. Thanks for the help.

Tide, we have 100% humidity down here almost year round and I've never had that effect the curing. However, I have had it not cure because of unequal amounts as you mentioned and the stuff being old sounds like a plausible reason as well.

GG34 be aware that 5 minute epoxy will yellow over a relatively short time. I've made the mono or wire framed epoxy spoons and used 5 minute with some fine glitter mixed in to form the body and used markers to tint but then topcoated with 30 minute cure commonly known as 2-ton. The yellowing was not very noticeable with the glitter and top coat of 2-ton.

You can always use UV cure resin for the body and top coat with 2-ton as well to keep it clear.

Kirk

Not a great pic of it but the only one I have. This one is tied on a #6.

IMG_8749-24.jpg

Ok Thanks. I coated them with hard as hull and they turned out great. I used devcon home clear epoxy from Lowes. I may try another brand just to be sure. Having nor used epoxy before, it may be normal.

GG34, using the spoon bodies as the form, I would use the 30 minute cure epoxy for a longer lasting and clearer finish. You will need a turner either manual (block of foam with toothpic or similar type legs) or motorized.

Here is a link to a video I did a year ago on epoxying where I show several types of "turners" both manual and motorized as well as some other tips on epoxying. There is a part 2 as well where I go into applying the epoxy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-OYv8W72MY

Kirk

Thanks good video. I was moving them around by hand. I'll try the manual flip method. I was applying with a popsicle stick. You think you can get it on as thick with the brush?

Kirk

Are these spoons supposed to float hook bend up? I tried them in the pool and the sink that way.

GG,

Don't see why not but if you already have popsickle sticks and that works for you then roll.

They should sink or flutter hook point up. If they don't wobble to your liking, remove the tailing material, it tends to act like the tail on a kite and stabilizes the fly's movement. The spoons I make sink hook point up but tend to spin and unspin on the retrieve, which is why I usually tie a weedguard on my spoons.

Kirk

Ok. I'll try that. Mine spun I little on the retrieve but had a decent flutter when they sank. I'll try no tail or a shorter tail. I'm after redfish so I would think any action would work.