Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sbr

Fly Box for 20's and Smaller

I fish mostly tailwaters, so I fish a lot of midges. I have tried several boxes for my midges including the magnetic boxes some people have referred to. The magnetic boxes will work fine but limit you to just a few patterns if you want to keep individual patterns separated. The box I use now is the best option I have found so far, it is made by C&F design. The slit foam in the lid is designed to hold midges and works very well, and the three compartments allow you to keep the patterns you use the most in larger quantities ready to go. The box incorporates two threader slots to leave midges on the threaders ready to be tied on. The box is a bit pricey, but if you fish midges a lot you will definitely enjoy all the features this box provides. The only improvement that could be made is if C&F would incorporate this layout into one of the waterproof boxes.

http://www.candfdesign.com/product/602733/CF-203/_/Small_7-Row_Fly_Box_with_Ultra_Midge_Size_Threaders

Hi, How small flies can the micro slits in the foam on the lid of this box hold?

I have flies down to size 26 & 28 in the slits and have never had one come loose. If you like the threaders then you will love this box.