Fly Tying
banks

Weight forward fly line quality

I have used two "distance" lines, Scientific Angler Expert Distance and Airflo 40+ Distance (the names may have changed since I bought them a few years ago). I found that the SA line had a problem with the tip sinking after a few hours even with a new line. I got annoyed enough that I switched to a Rio Gold line after a few months. I found I could cast it just as far and the tip didn't sink. I use the Airflo line at Pyramid lake. Pyramid is a huge lake with lots of wind and usually a heavy chop on the water; the flies used are heavily weighted and the indicators are quite large. The Airflo distance line works well there since making long casts into the wind are required at times and line splash isn't an issue. The front end of the Airflo line is REALLY oversized. A 7 weight line has a front end that probably belongs to a 9 or 10 weight and the running line is of small diameter. Thus, it is very easy to make long casts. The Airflo line would not be appropriate at a lake where delicacy of presentation is important, but it does work very well at Pyramid.