Fly Tying
Freddo

Czech Nymphing; Something for Everyone?

Hi All,

With less than a dozen trout caught on flies in my lifetime and as a newer guy taking to the river with a fly rod, should I be learning about Czech Nymphing? What is this really and is it good for all types of rivers using the standard nymph patterns recommended for trout in NJ? I saw a DVD out there that is suppsed to teach it in 1.5 hours sitting on the couch, anyone see that and is it worth the $30?

Thanks in advance!

My opinion is that czech nymphing is a good starting technique in that anyone can do it, regardless of casting technique or lack thereof. In my experience it is also one of the most effective techniques fishing streams and rivers for grayling/trout. Id say you can use any nymphs you like on a czech rig, just remember that you can adjust the depth of the rig with splitshot should you be fishing too shallow. You'll know you're too shallow if you aren't in contact with the bottom and you aren't getting any takes. As for where it is effective: i'd say it is most effective in moderate to fast water. In slow water i'd go for indicator nymphing instead if its nyphing you want to do.

Watch this youtube video if you want some instructions, i really like it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcJ4c8vXGkM

Thats my two cents, hope it helped.

Czech Nymphing, along with Polish Nymphing and Euro-nymphing (etc., etc.) is one of several aggessive nymphing techniques used by competitive fishermen to rack up big scores in competitive fishing events. If you are good at it, you can catch dozens, even hundreds, of fish per day. Did I mention that it is an aggressive technique?

Is it worth learning to do? Probably. It can save your day, when you can see the fish, lying on the bottom, but you can't entice a strike with normal methods. Generally, if you can bounce a nymph off their nose, the fish will nip at it, and if they nip, you can catch them. You don't have to go to the extreme of a 3 nymph rig, though, just make sure you have enough weight on to get down to where the fish are, and concentrate on getting your fly to drift through the feeding lane at the right depth.

Since most of us go fishing to relax, it's not really how we prefer to fish.

Since most of us go fishing to relax, it's not really how we prefer to fish.

Well thanks for that and the last line is key...relaxation. I enjoy the occasional trout dinner but mostly release them. But that said, as I like to fish "hard" as I refer to it when talking with my son. "Hard" to me is "all in" concentration. There is no setting my rod on a "Y" stick and of course I'm referring to non-fly fishing. But based on your description, I'll still look into it because any "technique" for me is valuable as I'm learning the ins and outs of getting the flies to the fish. I have a lot to learn about mending and droppers and maybe indicators and so on. My flies are turning out a better as time goes by at the desk but it's time to beef up on presentation.

Thanks PHG!

YES....LEARN IT!!! I am rather new to it myself. I am on my third season doing it. On one of our local rivers here in CT, a lot of the quality fish tend to hold in skinny, fast water, which is extremely difficult to fish with an indicator rig. The euro rig is perfect for it. I fish deeper water with it as well, as long as the water has a good bit of movement. I usually only fish two flies. Quite frankly, I hardly ever use any other nymphing technique. Check out this link. Its a thread I started about a week or so ago. Lots of good information here... http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=82435

YES....LEARN IT!!! I am rather new to it myself. I am on my third season doing it. On one of our local rivers here in CT, a lot of the quality fish tend to hold in skinny, fast water, which is extremely difficult to fish with an indicator rig. The euro rig is perfect for it. I fish deeper water with it as well, as long as the water has a good bit of movement. I usually only fish two flies. Quite frankly, I hardly ever use any other nymphing technique. Check out this link. Its a thread I started about a week or so ago. Lots of good information here... http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=82435

Thanks for the pointer to the other thread. I read the whole thing. I came over to fly fishing after being a salmon egg fisherman for trout most of my life and got good at that. The technique seems similar in ways although with ultra-light line and next to no weight. I'd cast into a rapid and keep my line dead straight out of the rod with my finger on the line to feel the slightest tap (and would be slight at times). I caught more trout in winter months 'cause around here the guys stay inside and miss out on the action. I'm going to study this out some more as it may be a method for those certain times and conditions that lend to that type of fishing. Please let me know how the George Daniel book is that Flytire pointed to in the other thread. Again - thanks for the pointer...there is a lot of great information there to get a newb started! :)