Fly Tying
Marineveteran0369

Charlie Boy Hopper issues

Are you using a dryfly hook? if so try using a streamer hook. The heavier gauge wire will give it a better keel, flipping it the proper hook down in the water.

Are you using a dryfly hook? if so try using a streamer hook. The heavier gauge wire will give it a better keel, flipping it the proper hook down in the water.

This. Use a Daiichi 1710 or a TMC 5263. They are 2x heavy, and are necessary to keep a foam fly from flipping.

Thanks for the help! I am using a streamer hook size 4. I spoke to the guy who it's named after and he said the body of my hopper was a little too wide. Gonna try it again. Semper Fi!

You need more metal hanging below the foam, as others have explained above. Any foam fly, especially with foam under the shank like this one, needs a big hook gape to serve as a keel. XL length hooks have smaller gapes relative to length. You want either xs length or extra gap.

Charlie Craven explains this in his SBS: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/print.cfm?parentID=164

Also a tall, but light wing helps prevent the fly from landing upside down. In the air, the wing acts like a parachute. If it lands upside down on the wing, it will often flip over. Take a look at the height and round top of Charlie's wing: (sorry for the ginormous image.)

charlie-boy-hopper%20(58).jpg

Bruce I was just looking at that today. Going to Bu more hooks now. Spoke to Charlie Craven last night and we were troubleshooting a few other things as well. Thank you for the advice I really appreciate your input.

Semper Fi

A tall wing can make a difference on big foamies. Take a look at Chubby Chernobyl or Hippie Stomper.

BTW - tie up some Chubbies. Fishes real good - catches fish, lands upright, floats all day. Straight forward tie, not tricky.

Chubby tied by Charlie

Chubby%20Chernobyl%20Tiffs%20025.jpg