Fly Tying
Triplef

How did you start tying flies? We all have a story . . .

I took it up a long time ago a an economic measure. Way back in 1974 I started fly fishing proper( before that use a fly and bubble on spinning rod). My dad who was a fly fisher let me have some old flies of his but told me I needed to buy or tie my own. The first couple of seasons I purchased my flies with lawn mowing and hay bailing money. decided in spring of 76 to start tying got a vice, and tools a few hooks and materials. I either trapped or shot most of my materials ( rabbit, squirrel, woodchuck, partridge, woodcock, pheasant ) for most of my teen years. That made tying way more inexpensive than buying even at the prices then. now some 40 years later I still tie all of my own flies be it trout, saltwater, salmon steelhead, or pike.

Steve

In the late 60's I started fly fishing out of frustration - there were dozens of Mooneye sipping dries and ignoring every lure and bait I threw at them. Nobody could catch one so it became a challenge. Bought a fly rod/reel/line kit and a fly tying kit and have been tying ever since.

Like flytyer62, I harvested what materials I could and still have a preference for natural feathers and furs for most of the flies I tie.

Hank