Fly Tying
vb1971

Fly Fishing Kelowna BC - Canada

Hi Everyone

I have the opportunity to visit family from Edmonton Alberta who just happen to also have vacation homes in Kelowna BC somewhere along Lake Okanagan. I reside in Melbourne, Australia and would love to take up the offer.

If I can manage to leave the office and dog, my wife and I are thinking of staying with them for two weeks in September in Lake Okanagan.

My questions are

1. Any fly guide recommendations?

2. Is it just lake fishing (assuming from a boat) or is there also land based fly fishing available?

3. Are there streams to fish as well?

4. Is Sep a good time? (water temps etc)

5. What flies would I be using (would like to tie a few myself)? Obviously a guide would have knowledge of flies

6. Who are the best fly fishing outfitter stores in Edmonton or Kelowna?

I look forward to your feedback

Cheers from OZ

VB1971

September is a good time of year to fish BC and fly selection can vary from stream to lake. I don't know Kelowna area that well but you should use a 5 or 6 wt rod usually 10'. I use a gold rolled muddler in a size 8 and black egg sucking leech for streams. When it comes to lakes its a good time of year to use leeches usually sizes between size 12 to 8 in a 2x hook we use simi seal black and red, olive, and black with a god bead. For lake flies try goin to Go fish BC in region 3 or any link with Kamloops fly fishing.

cheers

ron

I'm from Kamloops and do mostly lake fishing we are a couple hours away from kelowna and one of the best guides here is Brian Chan (Riseform fly fishing) You can look up Brian Chan fly patterns for lake patterns.

Not any good exclusive fly fishing stores in Edmonton anymore, plenty in Calgary

In Edmonton try Wholesale Sports, or Fishing Hole - Southside stores have bigger departments. Also Caballa's

If you can get to Calgary a day on the Blue Ribbon Bow River is a must: Bow River Troutfitters have Great guides - Check out their web site

If you get to Jasper a trip to Maligne lake is fantastic Fished it every year for past 50 Medicine Lake will be coming into its own also ( Its a mountain lake in June that drains to a river later in the year - karst formation ) I generally walk and wade it. For both these lakes Pete Chernowski (780) 719 -345 is an excellent guide, offering full and half day trips. He may be guiding hunting in Sept but will oiint you in the right direction

If you are traveling along the David Thompson HWY in Alberta lots of stream fishing around Nordegg. I just spent the last 10 days in that area but the creeks and rivers were high and dirty due to rain this year. We did most of our fishing on Fish and Goldeye lakes. Oodles of fish but small. Fished from a small boat but both lakes are perfect for belly boats. Don't know a guide in taht neck of the woods.

I do not know much about Kelona, but lots of good fishing near Kamloops. Flyguys.net has not a bad web site.

If I can take some good pictures I'll post of flies I use in Alberta here.

If you can fish Alberta Jasper or the Bow would be my choises

Doug