Fly Tying
Po0gs

Clousering for LM bass

Well, I just got my bucktail grab bag from Cabelas, and I got it with intentions to tie a bunch of clousers for LM bass fishing, kinda using em as a fly thats almost guarenteed to catch me bass, few questions, do LM really like clousers?

How should the be presented, i.e. Weighted? or what not

and what are good color patterns for LM

and any variations that you should throw in with these for LM

thanks all in advance.

~Po0gs~

Clousers are great for any type of Bass wink.gif

They have to be weighted with lead eyes on top of the shank to be considered a clouser. This will cause the hook to ride "point up" in the water so make sure you tie your colors according to this. For example the belly of the fly will be on top of the shank and the top of the fly is on the barb site.

Chartruese over white, Grey over White are both good but my favorite is Olive with a thin black stripe over white. This is the perfect baby bass imitation.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 21 2005, 08:43 PM)
Clousers are great for any type of Bass wink.gif

They have to be weighted with lead eyes on top of the shank to be considered a clouser. This will cause the hook to ride "point up" in the water so make sure you tie your colors according to this. For example the belly of the fly will be on top of the shank and the top of the fly is on the barb site.

Chartruese over white, Grey over White are both good but my favorite is Olive with a thin black stripe over white. This is the perfect baby bass imitation.

yes, I more or less knew about the lead eyes and makign them point up and so on, I worded the weighting question wrong. Anyways. SO when i tie the white be on top on the shank so when its weighted upside down that will simulater the belly?

thanks so much smallie!

What different types of materials can be used for a clouser? I have boxes of materials around here so I'm sure I have something that would work.

thanks

Jim

QUOTE (jbrowning @ Feb 21 2005, 09:18 PM)
What different types of materials can be used for a clouser? I have boxes of materials around here so I'm sure I have something that would work.

thanks
Jim

Im a newb, but super hair, bucktail, flashabou, Krystal flash, a ton of materials liek that can be used. I think so at least, they work for me. huh.gif

Jim any long natural or synthetic fiber can be used. I have been tying some with icelandic sheep and they look awesome. It breathes really well in the water and it is a thin translucent material cool.gif

SO when i tie the white be on top on the shank so when its weighted upside down that will simulater the belly?

Po0gs,

You got the concept wink.gif

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 21 2005, 09:34 PM)
Jim any long natural or synthetic fiber can be used. I have been tying some with icelandic sheep and they look awesome. It breathes really well in the water and it is a thin translucent material cool.gif

SO when i tie the white be on top on the shank so when its weighted upside down that will simulater the belly?

Po0gs,

You got the concept wink.gif

Ah nice, thanks man.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have lots of synthetic hair around here. It sounds like I should try and use the lighter color for the belly though.

Jim

One last thing Smallie. The weeds in my lake are pretty dense, the floor of the lake isnt nice sand, but muck. Im afraid that if the clouser runes deep that it would get lost in the weeds. Any suggestions or anything, thanks again m8.

That's one problem with largemouth fishing. The problem is the bass will use these weeds for cover so you gotta get close to the weeds to draw them out.

If you don't want it to go too deep you could use bead chain eyes, they won't sink the fly that much.

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 21 2005, 10:01 PM)
That's one problem with largemouth fishing. The problem is the bass will use these weeds for cover so you gotta get close to the weeds to draw them out.

If you don't want it to go too deep you could use bead chain eyes, they won't sink the fly that much.

Ah I could apply my LM knowledge here, spinning combo fishing wise, though, weeds maybe arent what best describes whats on the bottom of that lake. Ill figure something out. dry.gif One thing i do know is catching that 8Lber I caught on spinning combo,would be a heck of a fun time on a fly rod.

One last thing, the most productive lure on my lake is a 4" Olive Venom Simlpe Straight worm. Any patterns out there to really mimick(sp?) the look of this. Im going to bed, Im beat, hope to read up on it tomorrow, Thanks a ton man.

I cant find big enough bead chain eyes, and they wont sink fast will they? Bah I know nothing when it comes to fly-tying.

Use regular 'ol bead chain, the kind that you can find laying around the house. It will add just enough weight to get it down but it won't sink like a rock.

You can also try adding a wire or mono weedguard that would help a little. If your dreging through moss there isn't much you can do.

I have never seen a "Venom Simlpe Straight worm", got a picture?

I like to use mono weedguard, and I think that wire weedguard is to heavy for clousers flies. When the hook is up-said-down the leader is some kain of weedguard, but when fly sinking they are not weedles.

I like to make epoxy head (over lead eye's or bead-chain )on my clouser and add big stick-on eyes. Big eyes are target for many predators like LM and Pike. Also fly is more durability, and look realistic.

when I tie my clousers if I dont want it to sink fast I use bead chain in place of lead eyes as for color I have hade my best luck with a little krystal flash in the middle under you top color not to much or your streamer looks like it's going to a disco or something kicking.gif maybe at the most 4or5 strands good luck

QUOTE (big_fish @ Feb 22 2005, 06:56 AM)
when I tie my clousers if I dont want it to sink fast I use bead chain in place of lead eyes as for color I have hade my best luck with a little krystal flash in the middle under you top color not to much or your streamer looks like it's going to a disco or something kicking.gif maybe at the most 4or5 strands good luck

I use 6-8 starnds of Rainbow Flashabou.