Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CrappieAttitude

Iron Mike

Does anyone know how to tie the "Iron Mike" fly sold by Lively Legz? Saw one at the local fly shop and I or the shop clerk could not figure out how it was tied. Help is appreciated, thanks

Does anyone know how to tie the "Iron Mike" fly sold by Lively Legz? Saw one at the local fly shop and I or the shop clerk could not figure out how it was tied. Help is appreciated, thanks

Welcome to the forum. You are posing an interesting challenge to our diverse and knowledgeable membership. If you haven' t found help with usual internet search, I can pretty much Guarantee that if you buy one, and post a magnified photo here, it will be reverse engineered, with amazing similarity.

This is copied off the web.

Iron Mike Fly.jpg

To help understand the materials.

Looks like black zonker, flash, mallard flank and some kind of reverse bead collar behind the bead.

Look like a 4XL streamer hook, black nickel bead, marabou tail, shoulders are either mallard/wood duck or a grizzly synthetic like Predator wrap, and a wing (might be collar) of Flashabou Mirage Fringe. Cannot tell if there is an underwing or not from these pictures, but I suspect there might be an underwing of something like EP Fibers to add a bit of bulk to the profile. Pretty easy tie if you can find the materials. All could be easily substituted with equivalents that most shops would have, if any one product were hard to find.

Ok, tore one apart today and still not sure of all material, but; here is my opinion and the opinion of the gentleman at the fly shop. The hook is a nymph size 8, 3XL The tail is Maribou and Mallard, Rib-micro green flashabou, Body-LarvaLace, Under Wing and Over Wing of mallard, Collar is Micro Flashabou and ofcourse a black bead head. White thread is used for tying.

The under wing and over wing are from the same feather. The maribou seems to be tied in almost to the bead head. This gives the fly some bulk.

I think this streamer will do a good job.

Thanks for everyone's help. Feed back is appreciated.

Ok, tore one apart today and still not sure of all material, but; here is my opinion and the opinion of the gentleman at the fly shop. The hook is a nymph size 8, 3XL The tail is Maribou and Mallard, Rib-micro green flashabou, Body-LarvaLace, Under Wing and Over Wing of mallard, Collar is Micro Flashabou and ofcourse a black bead head. White thread is used for tying.

The under wing and over wing are from the same feather. The maribou seems to be tied in almost to the bead head. This gives the fly some bulk.

I think this streamer will do a good job.

Thanks for everyone's help. Feed back is appreciated.

Post photos if you can, may need to try this one too, Persistence always pays off, at least for me, on tying endeavors

Go to the "site help" forum. Type in "posting pictures" in the search box at the top. There are a dozen or so threads that have information on them about it.

If you are posting photos from your computer ...

Click on "more reply options" at the lower right of the reply screen.

Click on "choose files" at the bottom.

From your computer, click on the photo you want to attach.

After it's uploaded ... click on the message where you want the thumbnail to go.

Click "add to post".

post-44271-0-03095000-1422386625_thumb.j

Voila!

Click on "Add reply" at the bottom.