Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NikoT

Mayan Riviera

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this site. Just curious if anyone has fished the Mayan Riviera and can give me some info. I'm heading down in mid July for my honeymoon and we are staying 30 - 45 min. north of Ascension Bay. Any tips or if anyone has been there would be greatly appreciated.

Niko

Niko,

I have been to Ascension Bay and it isn't 30 min. from any of the resorts I remember on the trip down from the Cancun airport. It is about 130 km from Cancun to the Sian Ka'an preserve and it isn't a place you can just zip down to when you have a little time.

July is also hurricane season and many of the lodges are closed that time of year.

I thought hurrican season starts mid August? The resort is about 1 hour or so, south from Cancun, at least thats what I've been told by a guy that I work with...?

What flies do you suggest I tie / take? Or rod wts.?

Thanks!

Hey Niko,

Glad to hear you're heading down there and, more importantly congratulations! I'm sure you guys will have a blast!

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1 until the end of November. The Pacific hurricane season runs from May 15 in the Eastern Pacific, and June 1 in the central Pacific, and lasts until the end of November.

Every time I've been down South (Cuba, Mexico, etc..) it's been during this time frame and I've never had a problem with either the weather (knock on wood) or places closing for the season.

I don't have any personal experience about the area you're going to in particular, but I do know that it doesn't take a lot to find fish at an unfamilar saltwater situation. Check out the Cuba article on OFT if you'd like.

Make sure to take lots of pics and give us an update on how it went!

Cheers,

Nick

By the way, when are we going steelheading? wink.gif

It's been a while since I was there. I had my 9wgt because at the time it was the only travel rod I had. I waded various spots from about Tulum down through the bio-preserve and a bit beyond. Small bonefish, some small tarpon and a baracuda was all I caught before I either lost all the flies I had on coral heads or they fell apart.

I think an 8 wgt would be good, maybe with a 9 wgt line along for windy days.

As I said it's been a while and a lot has been written out on the net - google it. Take what you need - there isn't much in the way of places to buy things.

Think small for flies in Ascension Bay. For Bonefish, Gotcha's in sizes 4, 6 and 8 and and tan Charlies will do nicely. Permit will take Merkins and I don't see any reason to try and go fancier than that. I got a 25 lb. Permit on one of the ugliest merkins you've ever seen. Tarpon like light colored flies, when I asked my guide which fly to use he pointed to the classic Stu Apte fly in yellow and orange.

The Bones down there are very spooky and like the fly stripped very slowly. Just crawl it slowly along the bottom. Same for Permit, only less movement. Once you get his attention and it moves to your fly, leave it and the fish will eat. When it's tail starts shaking, hit him hard and hang on.

You can use a 6 wt. rod for the bonefish, they don't get all that big down there and 100 yds. of backing will be sufficient. For Permit and small Tarpon a 10 wt. rod is what I prefer and a couple of hundred yds. of backing on your reel. If you see bigger Tarpon (80 to 100 lbs.), you'll need a 12 wt.

This is the info I need. Thanks guys for the help! When I get back from my trip, I'll try to post up as soon as possible with any info I can get my hands on!

Nick, wasn't it that we were gonna go for some brownies on the Credit Forks? Or would you prefer to do some ditch diving? I've got a lot of nice little tiny creeks that can surprise you. Oh, by the way, love the article and now you got me thinking about doing Cuba next year. One thing that I would realy like to know is, how did you pack your stuff for flying. Or rather, how does the airlines / airport want your gear packed? We need to hear about that!

headbang.gif

Hey Niko,

I'm up for whatever type of fishing man. It's been so long now since I've casted a rod that I'm going stir crazy. It's so nice to see temps above freezing again (knock on wood, I don't want to jinx it).

I put the rods in their factory tubes, then I put them in the carbdboard tubes you can buy at stapes or mailboxes etc...which are usually used for shipping poster, architectural plans, etc... I took two rods with me, both 8wts, one 3 pc and one 4 pc so the tubes weren't that long. I had to check them through the oversize luggage counter and sign a waiver of laibility because the airline doesn't offer any insurance on sporting equipment (we flew with Sky Service airlines through Conquest Vacations). They were cool with me bringing the rods and I really didn't have any trouble at all. I did end up breaking my GLX while down there, so the backup rod was a great call. As long as you pack them well I wouldn't worry about having any issues.

I put my fly boxes and reels in my regular luggage and there weren't any issues with that either. I didn't bring a vest - it's way too hot down there!

Hope this helps bud. Let me know about getting out on the water.

Cheers,

Nick

An 8wt with an intermediate line will cover most of the fishing you can do w/o a guide, but a 9 or 10 wt with a full sink would be nice if you want to fish the surf, especially around rocks (don't forget a stripping basket!). A 6wt would be fun, but impractical if there is any wind, and there usually is at least a breeze down there. The flies mentioned will serve nicely, but don't forget a few pencil poppers for around the mangroves & docks, and grey/white chartreuse/white clousers or deceivers usually perform in the surf (lighter weight for snook in the mangroves). My best producers were pink charlies (#6) and a wool sardina (white, slight overwing of lt yellow, overwing that with olive, & a strand of pearl flashabou on each side, sizes 1/0-2). Leaders of 10#-14# flouro, with shock tippet in 40# & 60# hard mono are needed, maybe some wire if you want to target barracuda.

You can hire a panga if you want to blind fish on the reef...just ask any of the local fishermen/dive boats along the shore.

There is also a small bonefish flat on Cozumel, and a couple of local guides...a search should turn up a few (sorry, I lost all my links).

I'm guessing you're going to Playa Del Carmen or very near? A great restaurant in Playa is kiddy-corner to the TGIFridays...can't recall the name...excellent choice for fajitas & taco's (the real taco's, not the gringo folded jobs).

Actually, I just picked up a WJ basket. Man it is awsome! If my lines are both floating, how do you think sink tip connections would fare? unsure.gif