Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tugger

Tying Leadheads, jigs

I'm just starting out in the fly tying hobby and thought I'd give jigs my attention first. I've looked around the internet and this page for help on tying jigs and have had no luck. Have any of you seen a page that would be helpfull? Thank you.

What are you trying to learn about tying jigs? Most often you will tie a simpler pattern than a fly - one of my favorites is to use burnt orange bucktail, then a bit of copper crystal flash, then dark brown bucktail. I tie it so the orange is in the center and is surrounded by the brown - and the orange is just a tad longer than the brown. Then finish up with a collar made from a ringneck pheasant rump feather. A great crayfish imitation for smallies that my spin fishing buddies keep me tying on a regular basis.

For jig heads I like 1/8 or 3/16 oz and I use the same heads used for soft plastics. I use a rat-tail file to remove the lead barb and reduce the neck to make tying in materials easier.

Anyone care to post some images in this thread of jigs they've tied? I'll try to do so later tonight or tomorrow.

Joe C.

These ae some of luvin blugills' flys, they aren't tied on leadheads but they are very similiar to a leadhead jig and could probably give you a fw ideasuser posted image

Really wish I had a camera to show you some that I've tied, and scanning just isn't cutting it. I've used bucktail, craft fur and flashabou, I actually started tying jigs before I tried flies.

Just remember when you're tying them that if you put the jig head in like you're tying a fly the material you tie in first is actually the bottom. Don't overload the material less is better.

I've got a really good book at home on making your own jigs and painting them and tying them. I'll Post it when I get home from work.

Colors that worked really well for me were:

Black/Blue

White/Blue

Orange/brown

chartreuse/blue

white/dun blue with silver crystal flash on the side makes a really nice minnow pattern

Fatman

If you wanted you could probably use a lead head jig for most of the bead head patterns user posted image

Here's Graham's Bead head stonefly, I'm not sure what species you're after but I think your options are endless

The book you might want to look for is "The Anglers guide to Jigs and jigging" by Oberrecht. Talks of molding them, painting, tying, and making plastic worms and yes fishing them.

Hope this helps,

Fatman

Skunked will you be my mentor? What a fly!! I think you just stuck a bug. I have never seen a fly that realistic.

Fatman, Thanks for the book info, I’ll take a look at my local library to see if they stock it. I believe it will contain the info I’m in search of.

Thanks to the rest of you also for the replies.

QUOTE (Tugger @ Mar 10 2005, 06:58 PM)
Skunked will you be my mentor? What a fly!! I think you just stuck a bug. I have never seen a fly that realistic.

Fatman, Thanks for the book info, I’ll take a look at my local library to see if they stock it. I believe it will contain the info I’m in search of.

Thanks to the rest of you also for the replies.

Graham tied that one wink.gif

Tugger, one of the best jigs I've found uses marabou tied around the hook/jig, with a few strands of peacock on top. The green peacock strands add contrast and mimic the back of a baitfish. This should be a simple way to get started. Hope you find the info you need.

BTW, white marbou works really well.