Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smokeymountainstonefly

Can Anyone Identify This Stonefly 100% Positive

QUOTE (Taxon @ Mar 14 2005, 12:17 AM)
Smokey-

Plephemera hoaxi.

Hey guys, I was just making a really bad joke. How about someone taking a honest crack at identifying smokey's stonefly, even if just to family?

Paragnetina Media would be my best guess. Information coming from "Stoneflies for the angler" by Eric Leiser & Robert H.Boyle. It seems to match the picture and description. Hope this helps some.

I appreciate the help guys.

Unfortunately Paragnetina Media is not known to exist in North Carolina, and as for Peltoperlidae, ther are only 3 known species in North Carolina.

Peltoperlidae Chloroperlinae Tallaperla

Anna

Cornelia

Maria

I have sent pics to Dave Martin, Dale Beamish, and Paul Whillock. Through Discussion with these guys we believe it to be:

Perlidae Acroneuriini Acronneuria Lycorias

I have attached a link to my North Carolina Stonefly List which contains a link to the North American Stonefly list

North Carolina Stonefly List

Smokey

QUOTE (smokeymountainstonefly @ Mar 26 2005, 12:56 PM)
I have sent pics to Dave Martin, Dale Beamish, and Paul Whillock.  Through Discussion with these guys we believe it to be:  Perlidae Acroneuriini Acronneuria Lycorias

Smokey

Smokey-

One of my references has nymphal pictures of both Acroneuria lycorias and Acroneuria internata. The dorsal thorax patterns that show up on a lightened copy of your Stonefly%203 photograph are strikingly similar to A. internata, and much less like A. lycorias.

I realize that Stark doesn't list Acroneuria internata as being in North Carolina, but the species is listed for both Virginia and Georgia, which are pretty darned close (above and below) Western North Carolina, where they could easily exist in insufficient numbers to have been formally reported.

Acroneuria lycorias has anal gills I would be more inclined to think it is Acroneuria abnormis or A. carolinensis, they do not have anal gills

According to the book I mentioned in my previous post, Paragnetina Media are found in North Carolina. I found the book in my local library. Been reading to kill the winter months. Might be wrong but ......... the description also mentioned that the nymph "looked like it needed a shave" especially the legs. Who knows maybe they are not found in many large numbers there anymore? dunno.gif