Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Carp fishing

man, you guys shoulda seen this 37# pig of a carp that I weighed in this summer..... seen quite a few 20+ lbers taken this summer.

steve

on the UL i have fought carp up to 45 mins, on the fly rod i usually get em in in 20 mins or so, its a great work out on the forearms!! its good conditioning for the fall king run.

tight lines.

hds

ONLY 20 MINUTES?? bugeyes.gif I fought a 4 pound largemouth for 10 minutes one time on my rod. Don`t know what weight rod, but I`m sure it was stronger than yours. You must have horsed him on in! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

yeah I guess I did horse him. Like I said I have been fishing light tackle my whole life. I am 25 now and started to spin fish when I was four and got my first UL when I was five. You figure out the trick after 20 years.

Tight Lines

HDS

yea, good point! Where you from? Maybe we could hook up sometime, and you could take my carp fishin. Just a thought! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Redneck there is a defference between horesing a fish and matching a fishes moves (or at least the best you can) when i first started fly fishing for salmon i was shocked that guys were using 6&8# test on fish that are 20-25# and as strong as they are. Needless to say i lost ALOT of salmon that first year of fishing for them but over the years i have learned how to make the best of the "light" line that i use on them probaly the same way HDS does on those big carp&bowfin.

Although even when you think you have the upper hand,some of them find a way to beat ya wink.gif

SD

Yea, good point. Could compare it to how fast I can reel in a 4 1/2 pound bass on an ultra light rod. Thanks! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

I am in Minnesota on the Mississippi river. If you ever wanna come up they start to go nuts in late april just before the spawn, its also when the giant drangonflies start to hatch. We have a ton of species of carp here to fish, from commons to coldwater/spring fed creek carpsuckers...its tons of fun. Especially on light gear.

HDS

Well, I wish I could, but being that I`m only 14, I don`t have a car right now, and even if I did, I don`t have a license, so that wouldn`t work, atleast for a couple of years. You say you`re on the Mississippi River, may I ask how far are you from Clarksville TN? Alright thanks! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Wait, I reread your post where it says your from Minnesota, so that`s prolly a good long drive from here! Tight lines and good tyin!-redneck

Do any of them carp that yau'll are catching come from deep water? I catch carp frequently, my biggest being 45#, and all of them came from fairly deep water. I'm just getting into fly fishing and I was just wondering so that I don't go out and waste my money on flies that won't do me any good, Redneck.

I mostly fish carp from shore or on flats that I can see them tailing on. So this is where the flies will fit. Deep water carp are something I have not really fished.

Tight Lines,

HDS