Fly Tying
flytyingperson

wooly bugger or muddler minnow

Which do you like to use better during early trout season?  

408 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I may have fished a muddler or two when I started fly fishing. Don't use them at all. Come to think of it I haven't had much luck using standard size woolly buggers. I have caught many trout, stocked and wild, on small woolly buggers tied on size 14 or 16 3 or 4 XL hooks. Down sized versions of the White River Demon(white bugger), Chili Pepper(orange, copper and brown) and a Catskill Killer(white and yellow). I usually dead drift them or fish them as droppers under a larger dry fly.

"Refuse to choose" Both flies are killers, a selection of colors and sizes of just these two flies and you could catch most fish in most places.

Depends. I agree with "Refuse to Choose". If I am serving leeches for dinner, I might use a bugger. If I am serving certain bait fish, a muddler might be the choice. A muddler doesn't make a good leech and a bugger doesn't make a good baitfish.

Early season a cone head black Woolly Bugger; deep and slow

Late season a black or olive Woolly Bugger; twitched.

August - an unweighted Muddler Minnow. Trout take them as hoppers fished along the bank.