Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Speychucker

Dubbing problems

I'm having problems while twisting my dubbing loop, the thread keeps breaking wallbash.gif . I have been using 8/0 thread to spin some rabbit. How does one tell when it's twisted enough or should I be using a heavier thread?

I do the same thing now and then, just back off a bit on the twists. How do you wrap the loop. do you transfer it from the spinning tool to a set of hackle pliers?

When I started dubbing by pulling the thread forward and using the rotary function to create a rope, I'd occasionally snag the thread on the hook eye as it rotated. If this is the problem you're having, just slow down and avoid the eye.

Otherwise, probably just like Daryn said, back of a few turns and you should be OK.

Bamboo

Hey Spey,

Might try letting the thread you use for the loop unwind a bit so it can take a little more twisting at the tie in point. But sometimes if you over twist it, it will weaken the thread. I use 14/0 and use the split thread technique and I have only broke it one time so I don't think you need a thicker thread.

Jeff

8/0 thread is (at least UNI is) pretty strong. Unless you were seriously over-torquing it, I'm suprised it broke. I've broken thread in lots of ways but not that one. If the breaking happened with one particular thread (and I have had this happen), it could be that the thread has a defect or has been weakened by having something spilled on it. You might want to try pulling a couple of feet off the bobbin and giving the thread a tug. If it breaks with less pressure than it takes to break another thread of same brand and size, it's defective and not your dubbing technique that's the issue.