Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer-1

Tying Thread Photomicrographs

Perhaps some of you with access to or knowledge of technical information can help me.

I am working on a project for which I would like to have photomicrographs of different tying threads- Danville, Uni, Gudebrod, Bennichi, and UTC (Wapsi). Specifically, I am interested in photos that show the fiber arrangement of these various threads- flat, twisted, bonded, etc. I might even find scanning electron micrographs useful.

The thread manufacturers do not have this information, or are not willing to share it. I have tried a Google Search with little luck.

If anyone can suggest a source of photos, or someone with access to an appropriate microscope, please contact me off list.

Thanks, and,

All the Best from Nashville-

Stack Scoville

[email protected]

Then we wouldn't be able to talk about how I can possibly get those pictures you want made. And you will owe me multiple malt beverages and would have to bid on many items for me at the auction.

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Irish devil.gif hysterical.gif blink.gif

Thanks, TB.

"Fore-warned is fore-armed." And having seen the Irish fishmonger in person, I know he can stow many, many malt beverages!

At the conlave with both of you..first round is on me!!

From Nashville, looking forward to June and getting thirstier and thirstier-

Stack Scoville

Stack,

Do not listen to guys who live in FL and use a handle of Troutbum. I didn't see any trout in that part of FL. A big Croc bugeyes.gif bugeyes.gif but no trout. biggrin.gif

Thursday evewning in the lounge on the left as you walk in the door to register.

Is Mrs. Stack attending???

Mrs. Irish is.

Irish Dave and perhaps now adding the GODFATHER to the handle gunsmilie.gif gun_bandana.gif drunk.gif cheers.gif hysterical.gif hysterical.gif

You may want to check at the closest university. Most of them are TEM, SEM capable. Confocal laser microscopy would also seperate the thread into layers of images. Most of these can be accessed by taking the class the univeristy would offer to users, as a project for the class you usually have to take a photo set and turn it in to show that you can take quality photos--maybe you could do yours on fly thread?

As an engineer who maintained/repaired SEM's (for the semiconductor industry), getting a micrograph/photo with one is somewhat problematic... SEM's use a vacuum chamber for the specimen after it has been prepped and attached to a stage. In prepping the specimen, it is usually metallized - that is sputter-coated in a layer of what is normally gold. This allows the specimen to be imaged by an electron beam. Sputter coating a length of thread might be a little bit troublesome. I have coated a lot of organic materials - including flies - but haven't tried prepping cloth or thread. It may work, it may not. The thread has to be glued to the specimen holder with a conductive glue and it may wick the glue up the thread. Your better bet is to try finding an illuminated microscope and mount the thread to a glass slide for viewing. Most microscopes have camera attachments. And most have digital camera available. Again, a university or decent lab will have them available.

Remember also that the sample must not outgas during chamber pump-down.

Philski

(probably more that you wanted to know....)

Thanks, everyone. I have found that the use of a dissecting microscope in the Pathology Dept. at my local hospital, with a camera adapter, is just the ticket.

More later.............

Best from Nashville, and looking forward to quaffing a brew or two in Callaway Gardens, with the Godfather of Malt-

Stack Scoville

Stack and Troutbum see you soon.

Irish Dave Godfather of Malt

Boy that sounds good.