Fly Tying
SwampHunter

Found Really Nice Scissors Really Cheap

Went by Fred's Dollar store today with my wife. She was looking at the nail care section and I saw a pair of nail scissors. They have curved blades and are pretty small so I figured they might come in handy for fly tying. I also figured if they didn't work out very well that I could just use them for cutting wire and such.

Much to my suprise these things are great! They cut well!

Best part about it is they only cost $1.00. ohmy.gif

That is what I use. I bought mine for 9$ at Wal-Mart though. I've had them for 2 years and if you sharpen them every few months they will stay nice and sharp.

Get a couple pair, put tape or mark one for cutting tinsel, lead , etc. and save one for just feathers.

hey swamphunter,

i found out are local doctor was retiring in the end of november .

so i stopped by and told them i tyed flies and asked if they had any disposable suture kits .

when i saw the doctor he asked me who or what am i going to stich up lol .

just told him i tied flies and wanted the scissors in them .

so he gave me two un opened suture kits .

they have : iris scissors , gauze tweezers , iris needle holder ( hemostats )

jim

Is there a screw to hold the blade together if so make sure it stays tight and sharpening shouldnt be a problem. They are desgined to cut nails so most things we cut shouldnt botter them. If you go to wallmart go to the cooking section, and get yourself a small pair of utillity scissors, the ones with a serreated edge, use these are your work horse scissors. I have 3 or 4 pairs one in my vest, one on desk, one lost one missing for sure. These scirrors will cut anything and never dull. They will also trim close.

Great find at the doctors, must be a nice guy :headbang:

I am a huge fan of Dr. Slick, however I have a multitude of scissors that I use for various types of materials. I search ebay's taxedermy category quite often, upon recieving the huge furs and such I use a small pair of game shears to trim the hides into 'shareable' sizes. If no one has looked into taxedermy places for supplies, You're missing out. Alot of times the places will have alot of unworthy hides they simply cant mount.....which equals a golden opportunity for our tying community. Let me know if anyone cashes in on a large quantity...I'm always looking to add to the materials collection!