Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Monster Steelhead

Thats one of the biggest GLS i have seen a picture of,but i have heard and read in linesman's books about john kluesing (guide on the PM river) getting clients into 40" steelhead on the Pere Marquette bugeyes.gif

Hard to judge the # of that fish in the pic because of the angle of the fish but it is a big ol girl!

SD

Yeah, saw this posted on another board. That fish isn't 27" in girth. Beautiful fish, don't get me wrong. But I've personally netted steelhead that were legally weighed (back in native keep days) that was 30#'s, and steelhead that were about 32#'s. When they hit 30#'s, they almost always are over 40" long. And, a 27" girth is one FAT fish. That fish is fat, but not that fat. One of the numbers isn't correct. Say it this way, that tape going around girth would almost be as long as the fish. Which you can tell it's not. I'd put that fish at around 22-23#'s (have caught plenty in that range) and would estimate it at that. Have had a few that were in the upper 20's, maybe even low 30's, but I don't carry a tape, and won't weigh a fish I have to release (native release on most of our rivers).

But if I remember right, their was a problem with measurements. Awesome fish either way. But can honestly say it's nowhere near 30#'s. I know the guy who had the 32#, and it made him look small, and he was 6'4" and 280#'s. The person in photo isn't near that size.