Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Elastic Terrestrial Legs

Just what the topic says - Elastic, rubber band, terrestrial legs.

Depending on the size (diameter) of the rubber band, whether you clip it from your office stash or buy it at the local emporium, you can make virtually any bug or bottom crawler or crab leg you need, just by tieing a few overhand knots - in the 'right' direction - into a rubber band. Make sure you position the knot where you want it, lengthwise, away from any previous knot joint, and as long as you don't let the rubber roll or twist against its natural lie through the knot, you'll be able to create right and left legs. If the rubber twists against its own lie, the direction of the leg will change in the knot.

You can use a needle, your bodkin, a small crochet hook shank or a bright brad or finish nail as a mandrel to help the knot center slide through and secure itself; if you think it's necessary to lube the knot, you can wet it with whatever, you can drop a drop of glycerin or mineral oil or vegetable or extra virgin olive oil (if you're into that kind of thing blink.gif ) or some other slippery substance on the rubber to help it slip against itself. Color it with your permanent markers (wash the oil off first, CHRIS!!! headbang.gif ) and go to town!

These ideas also apply to the fancy leggy stuff you buy from your tackle supplier.

great tip, Dave!! Don't know how we overlooked it for so long!! I use this very metod to do legs for frogs...works great!!

Nice tip....i never realized how rubber bands could have usage in tying untill chris showed me a rubberband bodied stone. Now i can add another use for them thumbsup.gif

SD

watch out for the regular rubber bands that tou get from the local discount store they will dry rot in your box if left in there. then you will have a mess on your hands

some will melt into hair when left in a box that gets too hot then your flies will not look so good

if you plan on keeping the flies for more than one outing use the silicone legs you get from the tying shop.

I learned the hard way about rubberbands melting with a whole box of crabs tied with gum bands and sheep wool. I left them in the sun on the deck of the boat and then put them away for a few weeks. when i pulled the box out all of the crabs legs were stuck together and broke when I tried to seperate them wallbash.gif wallbash.gif

not only will rubber bands do it, but commercial tying materials like "Nymph legs" and "Crazy legs" will do the same if negelected! Good Follow up, Bassturd!

You should always store your flies properly to ensure a long productive life!

Sign in to follow this