Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Steaming flies

Flies that are a little disheveled from neglect or hard use can be restored to life by steaming them with a tea kettle. But what about a fly that has really been put through the wringer? It takes a little more to get them back to their pristine shape and appearance. Steaming with just a tea kettle simply won't do it, what you need is pressurized steam. And here's how you do it:

find an oil can. One of those old oil cans many of us grew up with...you know the kind you have to squeeze the bottom to use.....these old cans are domed shape with a long tapered nose for getting into tight places. Wash out the can with a good detergent( the can should have a screw cap for refilling it with oil. remove the cap and add the detergent). Once the can is clean, it 's ready for use. Fill the can with water and place it on the stove. When the water begins to boil, it will produce a very concentrated stream of steam. With FORCEPS or LONG needle nose pliers, hold your fly in the steam stream for a few seconds. The concentrated column of steam and its pressurization should bring even the ugliest, most neglected fly back to life.

Be very,very careful doing this. If the steam pressure builds up faster than it can escape through the tip it will explode. I suggest you replace the screw in cap with a cork. The cork will blow out more easily if too much pressure builds.

Dave

good idea, Dave....another way of preventing over heating and possilbe pressure explosions is to heat the can slowly, or use a drill to add VERY small vent holes along the nozzle....you lose a little pressure, but it should provide enough escape/venting to prevent an accidental explosion......

and yes...i do know guys that have used very low heat on thier irons to press hair wings and winging material on streamers back into...it is a bit cumbersome, but I have seen it done!

Sign in to follow this