Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Hex already

Well, went out on the lake in search of wally..... got one, but the fishing generally was real bad (we were tied for the most of anyone, only one other boat got one from what we saw) because the mayflys must have started emerging. There were empty "hulls" everywhere, they would gum up your line and I'm sure the fish are just gorged on em. Also, I spotted there were a few dark caddis (not sure the exact specie (about a size 16) flyin around.

Overall a frustrating, but still enjoyable day, I mean its beautiful outside (finally).

steve

Steve,

Were you up in the Bay? I haven't seen any in Grosse Pointe. Usually they stick to my windows do to some security lights

I was from the spillway north to huron point, but most of them were closer to huron point (metro beach area). I didn't see any flying around (middle of the day), but there were those empty hulls all over the place. I found it kinda odd to be this early, but who knows. This has been a strange year (to say the least). Maybe tonight before the bar run, I'll head out to harley ensign and see if I can spot any flying in the lights there.

steve

I was going to head out last night, but with this East wind she was pretty bumpy. Not much better today. Quite dirty as well. (at least down here)

I was hoping to hit the Silver Bass down by the Delphine.

I guess they're still getting some eyes in tight around Masonic. How was the water up your way? Might try it tonight if it lays down some

pretty muddy still, LOTS of floating weeds. quite a few deadheads still around. BE CAREFUL! there are 4 lined up like a fence out of the crocker launch to the southeast right when you get into the lake. along with one here and there other places.

steve

Thanks Steve

If you ever want to go out in the evening, let me know. I'm docked at Jefferson Beach.

thanks for the offer! hopefully I can take ya up on it sometime.... In talking with a few guys that live in clay township and algonac, they saw some hexes the last two nights. Also, there have been reports of the "fish flies" starting to "hatch" in lake erie also. if you catch it just right, the front end of the hatch can be great fishing, mid hatch has always been kinda tough (for me at least), I think the fish are gorged on the emergers, and can only hoax a couple eyes to offer at our lures/baits.

Good luck if you head out there!

BTW, there are gonna be lots of problems with the idiots that have more money than brains out there this year. Due to the flooding, a lot of full sized trees got flushed into LSC. Many of them got stuck on the bottom and are only stickin up a foot above the waterline. Given waves they may be very hard to see. With the upcoming boating season, and the tendency of the yuppies to get drunk on their fountains and other go-fast boats, there are going to be quite a few "interesting" events.

steve

little bit of a follow up. I fished the st. clair river last night..... the Caddis hatch was almost unbearable! Quite the hitchcock-esque time. I could only hope for a hatch like that when i'm on a stream, oh well. Surprised me though, as I didn't realize that caddis were found much in the st. clair river.

steve