Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishboy

a newbie

Hi all-

My name is Derek Mathieu, from Manistee, MI (although I'm now down in Kalamazoo for college...talk about some good smallie waters!)

I love fly fishing and tying for whatever has fins. My first passion is trout from the small streams, but I also love the smallies, largemouths, pike, carp, 'gills, steelhead, and salmon.

And of course, living within 1/2 an hour of so many great famous streams, I have to hit the Big Manistee, Little Manistee, and Pere Marquette throughout the year.

Well, there it is...me. Look forward to participating on this board, as I have on the www.flyfisherman.com boards.

Adios for now.

Derek

Welcome Derek and you wouln't believe the amount of members from your area and we always welcome another MI fella.

Hope to see you around often!

Derek,

Welcome aboard. You have found the crazy people LOL. Any questions you have ask away they'res experience from beginner to expert and all are willing to help that's what makes this place so good.

Again Welcome and have fun

Tight Lines,

Fatman

And heres one of those MI boys SmallieHunter was talking about wink.gif

Hows it going Derek nice to have ya join us,you fish the same rivers i do i would bet that we may have even been on the same river at the same time if you do alot of steelie/salmon fishing.

I enjoy the PM more than any for steelhead/salmon but i have fished the others MO & bigM plus some of the smaller ones over there at one point and time.

Look forward to you joing in the forums and the fact that theres so many MI boys here i think you will find makes for a great way to get together and make some new friends as well as share info on tying.

SD

I'll tell you what BDH, the football season for the BRONCOS wasn't what I would've liked, although they did smoke archrival Central Michigan.

Basketball season started okay, with a big win over USC, then a loss to Detroit Mercy.

As for volleyball, lets just say I go to the games but never pay attention to the score! devil.gif

Thanks everyone for the kind welcoming. Steeldrifter, we may have seen each other a time or two, although my main goal in fishing is DISTANCE.

I like good company as much as the next guy, but many of my fishing trips entail fairly long hikes into small streams, through bear-infested cedar swamps and mosquito-laden beaver ponds, just to get away from the crowds.

But as I said, I do like to hit the Big Manistee (although I know of a few places- both above and below Tippy- that not many others frequent and you can fish for steelies, salmon, trout, and smallmouths) and Pere Marquette.

Look forward to soaking all of everybody's wealth of knowledge. wink.gif

Derek

Hi Derek

Have you had the chance of hitting the Zoo for steelies yet? Some of my friends have done quite well in the last couple of months.

Manistee is my old stompin' ground. My wife has several relatives there. I've spent many strategically placed holidays up there. wink.gif

Enjoy the site