Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Its me

Well, for those that don't know me already, my name is Steve and I'm from Michigan. Been fishing all my life, with the specialty fishing methods (ice fishing and fly fishing) being my favorite of all. Dare I say, I got into fly fishing as a kid by watching a tv show and thinking that it looked fun. From then it was a crashcourse as no one else in my family fly fishes. I found an old bamboo flyrod of my grandfathers and learned to cast while spending the summer at the old homestead where I fished the private ponds for bass and bluegill.

Since then I have furthered my knowledge in the sport through reading, trial and error, and listening to old timers that can teach a guy like me a thing or two (or a thousand). This last summer I worked the fly fishing shop in Lansing, MI.

Not that I dislike any of the species of fish, but lately I have bit by the steelhead bug badly. Seems like I get cabin fever for all seasons now and can't wait to get on the river. The last few years have been focused on this fishing, and my fly ting has gone accordingly. I also have taken up custom rod building, and have found more enjoyment through that.

I dunno, I guess I would be about average in most things.... but I have one helluva time screwing up!

steve

smile.gif big daddy hubbard is a women

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif Gee i had nothig to do with this post,i dont know this guy at all...he must be a very good judge of people though hubbard.gif LOL....

Seriously MSU is a great guy and a very good tyer and can add alot to the site ,lets all give him a big welcome!

SD

Steve welcome to the forum!

All I can say is you MI boys make me sick!! I too have been bit by the Steelhead bug but I'm a good 5 1/2 hrs away from any steelhead water and it drives me crazy, you guys have it made. You guys got a great fishery up there and can stay busy fishin all year long.

Make yourself comfortable around here and feel free to jump in any time

Will we do have alot of great water around here but 90%of us have to drive 2 hours to get to iT sad.gif

I know Steve(MSU) pretty well and he is a great tyer,nice addition to the site!

But tell me why would he say hubbard.gif

I TOLD YA NOT TO MESS WITH ME CHRIS!..... boxing.gif :lol DONT MAKE ME GET SERIOUS ON YA!

SD

post-7-1069481659.jpg

Good to see you over here

Welcome Steve. smile.gif

Hey Smallie, it's still a good distance for us trapped in the asphalt jungle

Yea but I'm over 8 hrs away from places like the PM or the Au Sable which makes it a bit too far to drive for a long weekend or something. Yea you guys gotta drive 2 hrs, it must be rough rolleyes.gif .

Thanks for the kind welcome.... its about 3 hours to the au sable, and a few other rivers that I fish, a little more to the pm. Funny how i have no problem makin the drive for a weekend fishin, but if I had to make that drive to do darn near anything else, it would almost be out of the question. Same thing about wakin up at 3AM on the weekends, go figger. smile.gif

steve

Shoot Smallie, who has to drive two whole hours? Five minutes to the Grand after work, 45 to the Mo', and an hour and a half to the PM. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif Yup, it's rough, but somebody has to do it. biggrin.gif

Mike

LOL I just love making new friends! biggrin.gif I spent the whole day deer hunting within sight of the Grand, and never even thought about steelhead. Ok, ok, maybe once or twice. wink.gif

Mike

Mike,

You're not helping us any. That's borderline rude, no that's down-right shitty

I've been looking toward Gr, but in my field they work for nothing.

I do what I can Shoe. biggrin.gif

The pay in my field sucks too, but I don't have a family to support so it works out. We're loosing a lot of jobs around here. Seems there's another factory closing or laying off workers every week. I might not have any choice but to relocate in the near future.

BTW, welcome to the forums MSU.

Mike

I have about a 2 hour drive to the Au Sable about the same for the PM and the

BM.

I'm not complaning.

I have made a good living in Mid Michigan.

Its Sucks to be you Smallie j_k.gif

banana.gif

OSD.

Steve,

Welcome aboard! As you can see you've joined the nuts and lunatics that abound around here LOL. As you can also see we have a really good time and try to learn something from everyone who posts up.

Again Welcome and look forward to your posts.

Fatman