Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

Sault Saint marie

Hey everyone,

I am moving to Sault Saint Marie at the end of august for school (the 27th) and have seen some photos of small stream caught brook trout and a few good small stream cohos/pinks. I would be delighted to be able to fish some of these small streams for brook trout and rainbows, from the way google map looks there are tons of streams flowing down into the city from some small lakes, and other locations. As for fly selection Im guessing for these little guys nymphs will do, so im tying a bunch of nymphs ranging from size 16 to 12 and some larger damsel nymphs. First off am I on the right track here with nymphs for brookies and rainbows? Second, I understand these streams are fragile and that these locations can be and often are well kept secrets. Is there anyone on the forum who has fished the small streams near the city and had success with finding these fish? I fish warm water species most, bass, bluegill, walleye, pike so im not too keen on finding and recognizing these locations. I will not have a car, but I am an avid hiker and love to bike (50km + some days but try to stay within 20km) So if anyone happens to feel that they are willing to share some local knowledge I would be more than grateful.

Feel free to pm me :D

Druce

Awesome! All those crazy salmon will start running soon too like the pinooks. Hmmz buy me a plane ticket and i will hire a big ass SUV and bring the backroads mapbook, we will make our own roads hehehe! Sorry i am actually not much help, its one of the places i haven't been yet tho read and seen an awful lot about. I guess if you don't have a car one option would be to get a guide early on during your stay, use the day to pick his brains for local info, also hit up local tackle stores and certainly get a backroads mapbook.

I am sure someone will chime in with a pool or two (if you give them your kidneys). How long are you going to be up there for?

2 years man, hopefully I will have time to try some streams. So the BC trip must have been awesome eh! I saw the pic's you put on the forum. Wish I could take a trip out there again. <_<

I'll keep my ears open if i hear any spots up that way, have to go there one day. Just waiting for salmon to come back to the rivers here in the next month +...Perhaps i'll get some bass in before then. Anyway you are going to love it up there, jealous!

Trip was so good and i have complete mountain/ holiday withdrawals, luckily i have just about finished my laundry/ cleaning/ work and am back on track so tonight i think i should get a few hours at the bench.

If you need any pink or chinook flies i could post you a small sample of what was working for us out west. Just give me a week to tie and hopefully they get to u before u go. Have a couple that were dynamite (some quite small), where nothing else really worked as well.

Hey everyone,

I am moving to Sault Saint Marie at the end of august for school (the 27th) and have seen some photos of small stream caught brook trout and a few good small stream cohos/pinks. I would be delighted to be able to fish some of these small streams for brook trout and rainbows, from the way google map looks there are tons of streams flowing down into the city from some small lakes, and other locations. As for fly selection Im guessing for these little guys nymphs will do, so im tying a bunch of nymphs ranging from size 16 to 12 and some larger damsel nymphs. First off am I on the right track here with nymphs for brookies and rainbows? Second, I understand these streams are fragile and that these locations can be and often are well kept secrets. Is there anyone on the forum who has fished the small streams near the city and had success with finding these fish? I fish warm water species most, bass, bluegill, walleye, pike so im not too keen on finding and recognizing these locations. I will not have a car, but I am an avid hiker and love to bike (50km + some days but try to stay within 20km) So if anyone happens to feel that they are willing to share some local knowledge I would be more than grateful.

Feel free to pm me :D

Druce

I don't know that area as well as someone who is closer but I can say that google maps has no idea about what these rivers and lakes look like. I live in Northern Michigan in the Lower Peninsula and I was looking on google maps for some local rivers and they had some on there and when I went to find them with a print out I have no idea where they came up with them. The "rivers" didn't exist. I'm not saying that they are wrong but for my home town they were not right LOL. I can say this about the salmon around here they like wooley buggers in neon pink, neon green and any other bright color that you can think of. These seem to work the best and are very veritile for both big salmon and some of the smaller species as well.

If your ever in the Alpena area in the mitten let me know I would like nothing more than to cast with a fellow fly fisherman.

thanks for the info bassbuster, if i'm ever in your proverbial neck of the woods I will drop you a line.

So I have started a nice nymph collection, all the staple patterns i can think of with a few modifications here and there, im not going to bother with dries as i find a nymph will catch fish hatch or not. Anyone see the post yet and want to share ideas/local knowledge. :rolleyes:

sorry for the double post, a little bit more reading has pointed me in the direction of large terrestrials such as grasshoppers,crickets in field side streams; beetles, moths, ants in wooded stream areas. This sounds cool for the late summer period I will be fishing for them, any suggestions for staple terrestrial flies? I took a look at some patterns and the letort grasshopper/cricket look awesome as an all around terrestrial fly, of course in different sizes. Im not much of a dry fly guy, the only one I use is deer hair mice for bass and pike so I don't want to have something too small. Its funny, my thinking would have lead me to think that the fish would be hugging bottom in pools and breaks. With a little bit of snooping on google maps I have managed to find stream names with photos of people holding brookies. rainbows, pinks.

:ph34r: .

Druce,

You said you weren't going to bother with dries. Well, I use dries and I never find myself in a hatch. Tie up some parachute ants, size 14 to 18. Also, tie up some royal wulff's and stimulators. Since you will be there for two years, these will be great dry fly patterns to use during the summer (ants especially). Also, don't know much about where you are talking about, but, I suggest scuds, stoneflies, hare's ears, PT's, and the basics. Use those in a variety of sizes and some tweeking, and that should be all you need. Hope it helps,

Gaeron

Druce,

You said you weren't going to bother with dries. Well, I use dries and I never find myself in a hatch. Tie up some parachute ants, size 14 to 18. Also, tie up some royal wulff's and stimulators. Since you will be there for two years, these will be great dry fly patterns to use during the summer (ants especially). Also, don't know much about where you are talking about, but, I suggest scuds, stoneflies, hare's ears, PT's, and the basics. Use those in a variety of sizes and some tweeking, and that should be all you need. Hope it helps,

Gaeron

Thanks for the tips gregfred, that's my approach on the nymphs, lots of hares ears and PT's along with some modified version with silver/golden mylar wing cases, from what iv read in these small streams fish can really be opportunistic and will take a large variety of nymphs and dries. And from what my dad taught me as a kid tinfoil on a hook works just fine for brookies. :huh: