Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Beads are not just for heads

Sometimes it’s good to have Nymphs that don't look like they play football for

Notre Dame and still have the bead

post-22-1069284916.jpg

I have some San Juan worms which called for a bead at the center of the hook, under the chenille. They work!

Beads also make good caddis body extensions. You run a few beads onto a thread, draw the ends of the thread together, letting the beads come to the end of the loop. Then you tie the thread to the hook, (to which you've already added a couple beads to build the front end of the body) so that the beads are hanging just off the end of the hook, and voila! You've got a swinging body. I'll post a picture of one later so it's easier to imagine.

It looks like the chenille has a gap between it and the bead, but it doesn't. The beads have the color around the center, and are clear toward the outside. They're on a size 14 dry fly hook.

post-22-1069445557.jpg

nice looking worms, Mark....but how hard can a worm be??? LOL! I like to use a bead or two in my damsel nymph imitations....they seem to catch more trout that those without them...don't know why, but it seems that way...

haaa!!!! Fishin' this weekend? Gonna be 75 here on Sunday....gotta hit the creek before I go to work! Smallies are callin' my name!!!