Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Latex substitutes...Great for the bench!!

For years, latex has been used on the tying bench for everything from shellbacks to creating realistic bug and baitfish patterns. Well, as with everything, technological advances have produced a rubber glove that is being used in the medical industry in particular. They are made of a more plastic polymer, and are less rubber like than the old gloves. Many who have to spend the biggest part of thier day in latex sometimes develop an allergy to it and the results can be anything from a mild rash, to very painful lesions that heal slowly. The "new" gloves (which have been around for some time now), were designed with this in mind and to try to minimalize the allergic reactions among wearers.

The material in these gloves can be used the same way that latex is use at the bench. The material is pliable but does not have the stretch that latex has. It is strong and withstands a lot of abuse on a fly. It can be used as shellbacks for scuds and sowbugs, or wrapped over dubbing to create realistic nymph bodies. It is almost clear, without the tan or "yellow" tones of latex and it takes color from any waterproof marker very easily. This style glove can be bought at medical supply stores, pharmacies, drug stores, and even hardware stores! And when bought in bulk ( a box), it is certainly more cost effective than buying the same amount of Thin Skin or Flexibody. I love it when you come in under budget!

Tight Lines, fellas!

Big Daddy

This reminds me, my buddy has a latex wiggler pattern that he calls "the love bug". Can you guess his source for the latex? smile.gif

Mike

condoms are good sources of latex, but be sure to use the non-lubricated styles....lubricants and spermicides are nasty to fool with and may actually damage the materials in your fly...no pun intended.....

can't believe I handled that so maturely!!! Must be slipping!

I use latex gloves all the time at work, and have been fortunate enough not to develop any allergies. Chris has done a fine job here of highlighting the strengths and weakness of each type.

The materials can be used for more than just small flies. If we prod Striblue a bit, I'm sure we could get him to post one of the squid flies that he's tied using an entire glove finger as the mantle. Pretty cool!

If you use condoms as a source of latex, be sure to use the ribbed kind to increase the fishs' pleasure.

(There, I picked up the slack.)

Hi folks,

I used a novelty toy called Bald head wig, the latex has the right thickness and it powder free. The problem is cutting it, normally I would quartered it then rolled in a bunch and press a sharp blade down like cutting a cinnamon roll.

The lates strips is useful for larve and pupa and stoneflies too. Show some pixs later. Hope this help.

Cheers

Qwek

Good Idea,Just brought to mind some rubber gloves that were a bit stronger than dishwasing gloves.They were all black and at the dollar store.

next time you go to the dentist .

ask if they use dental damns on there patients .

and if they do.

tell them you ties flies and ask if you can have some .

they come in -green, charcoal, red , latex .

jim

Sign in to follow this