Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Too windy for fishing

Looking good! Blown out here, water is very high...but i had the luxury of cleaning the house instead haha oh the excitement

Haha yes! Never underestimate the power of the mop

Managed out yesterday but not a sniff of a salmon. Managed a small sea trout on the middle fly above. Lovely day on the river but seeing some fish would have been good. A walk today showed no fish about today either. Only a couple of folk bothering to have a cast.

The steelhead run here is slowing down, did sneak out on Sunday with the wife, water was just coming off spate so still going quick and slightly coloured, went with a nice bright white winged akroyd size 1.5 and had a decent day landing 3. Most takes were pretty crazy as i don't think many people have been harassing them. Right now for the next day or so river looks in top shape before more rain is due. Then next weekend is great big clean up the river day, even tho hardly any garbage this year. But i suspect fish still around to early June if water temps stay low.

I have been watching a load of East Coast Canada atlantic salmon fly fishing, must do that very soon, i think getting one on a dry like a bomber or a hitched fly would be the ultimate.

Here is an akroyd eater.

post-29540-0-06661600-1400610144_thumb.jpg

Great. Yep we're at hitching levels already. Need plenty of flash downpours to bring the rivers up fast, allow a few fish in and then fall to trap them in the pools.

Water has been too high to attempt any sort of waked fly yet, but the wife and i are on a quest to tempt a GL steelhead to the hitched wet. Last weeks observation was more exciting than the fishing, wife perched atop a bridge watching me swing an intruder just under the surface on her dry line when a hefty buck sped out of the pool took a big circle around the fly and went to chew it just as i was completing the swing. She said he then looked rather pleased at himself chasing the intruder away and went back to the depths of the pool.

Anyway it seems a bit boring compared to salmo salar and what i have been watching as far as the hitched wet. Also been watching a lot of the Oliver Edwards which i have not for years, that fellow is one fine angler that would be a joy to fish beside.

Wish you luck with the hitched and dry fly! *slightly jealous*

Excellent flies too.