Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Hatch-ling

Neat fly, Daryl. I kind of chuckled when I first looked at the pattern, but as I looked at it a little longer I see how well though out it is.

- The tinsel tag will add a small flash to the fly as it's bumping along the bottom.

- The whispy tail and fuzzy head will have lots of movement to attract attention.

- The little eggsack center

- The eyes in the head complete the impression of a tiny hatchling fish.

Looks like a pattern that could be fished as a tiny hatchling or an egg pattern.

:thumbup:

Thanks Ray, I tied this up for Vises egg challenge. I was recently at the local fish hatchery and we went and looked at all the eggs. There were a few of these premature hatching's in the trays. I tried to mimic what I saw. The little fish sticking out of the egg, and how the egg was different colours top and bottom

It's a government hatchery, and the only thing they grow are Atlantic Salmon. Looking at the eggs was o.k. but the big mature fish swirling for pellets only a foot or so away was awesome. Some looked like brown trout while others were silver grey. There was one salmon that has a cataract in one eye and is blind on that side, its light silvery brown on one side and really dark golden brown on the other. Its the biggest and oldest fish there. I think they said its a little over 29 pounds and 3 and 1/2 feet long, about 7 inches across the back. The salmon change colours to suit there environment and this guy cant see on one side and thinks he is in the dark.

I would like to go back with my camera, and maybe do an article for hatches.

All the good waters here are closed (my area). I am searching some leads to some close waters. One question I asked was how many salmon were put in a local river last year. About 1,200, to 1,500, Two came back, but they are showing up in other rivers. They have been stocking this river for years. The main goal of the hatchery is to preserve the gene's. I have mixed feelings about the whole thing as the stocking does not seem to be working and where it is you are not allowed to fish.

I cant remember if it was 3 or 5 that I caught 2 years ago trout fishing. about 500 were stocked in another local river. There is a big population of brown trout and sea run browns. Birds and mammals that feed in the river. The fish I caught were released and in pretty rough shape. Others I know caught a few of them and said the same, and that they kept them. They were all about 12 to 15 inches, and it would be nice if they came back. Just as long as they dont close the river as they have done to others.