Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Shimmy Cricket

I first started on this idea early in my tying while trying to find an easy way to do foam poppers. When I fished it, it didn't pop, and so I was a little disapointed until I saw it wiggle on the strip. When balanced and symetrical, it dives neatly under the water and gives a little shimmy that fish seem to love. It really is a quick and easy tie, especially if you omit the chenille.

Enjoy.

Deeky

Sweet fly, Deeky! Bet this fly works great!

Have you tried it with a metal bead under the thorax? Perhaps a metal bead may tip the fly forward (lip down) making it dive and shimmy a bit sooner.

Very cool design. Thanks for sharing.

Interesting idea. I hadn't thought of that. My only question would be how it sits on the surface since a lot of surface hits are when the fly is sitting still. Would dropping the head put the hook point at a wierd angle for actually hooking the fish? Worth taking a look at.

Deeky

I like it!

Looks like it could be killer for gills... especially when they're around the lillypads and you know you'll be losing a few flies.

Nicely done.