Fly Tying
jd1983

Flies for mid-June on the Toccoa

My father will be headed to Blue Ridge, GA for Bill Oyster's 6 day bamboo fly rod making course in mid-June. He plans on bringing his fly rod because they will get to fish the Toccoa during their time there. I'd love to send him down there with some good patterns he can throw. What are some must-haves for the Toccoa that time of year?

The area around Blue Ridge isn't exactly a fly fishing mecca. You've only got a couple of streams in GA that much more than marginal. If you are from NC or SC, you can do a little better, but it's tricky to get over into NC from that area of GA. That said, Unicoi Outfitters in Helen, Ga. would be your best source of information. They do have a hatch chart buried in their "Articles" section of their WEB site. http://www.unicoioutfitters.com/articles.shtml

Here in NC, the delayed harvest will be over, and the only fishing would be wild trout and hatchery supported. If I were going, I'd take an assortment of hare's ears, pheasant tails and prince nymphs in 12, 14 and 16. I would also have a good selection of midge larva (18 and 20). For dry flies, some sulphers (14 and 16), some BWO's (18 and 20) and some EHC (14). If you might hit a brookie stream, I would also have some orange stimulators (12 and 14).

A lot will depend on the release schedule of the dam ...the Tocca has some nice fish in it ..some good public access too. Check with the fly shop in Blue Ridge right next door to Bills workshop.

So, I lied. He will be there in mid-May. I got the dates mixed up. It looks like the hatch chart says there is a potential for little yellow stoneflies, sulphurs, and green drakes.

Throughout the southeast, sulphers and sallys are a good bet all spring. Hare's ear, pheasant tail, and prince nymphs are also good to have. I don't really know the Toccoa, but most streams have a fair number of caddis. Green drakes are great, if you can catch the hatch. Keep a few size 10 or size 12 coffin flies in your fly box just in case, but don't hold your breath.

Also, green drake fishing is best right at dusk, while the others are all day flies. If there's no surface action drag the bottom with a nymph.