Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nealbo

Royal coachman

Coat it with an artisit's fixative before you try to tie it in. Let it dry for about 5 minutes. This will keep the quill fibres together as you are tying them in. You can find this stuff at any craft store.

Its hard to tell ya but easy to show. I like a little fuller wing then most so I go with the hook gap for the width of the wing. Take the slip from the middle third area of the quill. I ty the wing on wet style with the tip of the wing facing the bend lift up then you can take the butt ends and pull them to the back of the hook and ty off behind the wing or just build up thread behind the wing and cut the butts off . I like pulling the wing forward to to eye instead of the rear I think you get a better looking curve to the wing. I wouldn't coat the quill with anything as this will stop the fibers from moving and giving a nice curve. Don't do x wraps throught the wings to try to seperate them more as this could fold the wing on itself, if you have to seperate them more take a peice of thread have the thread loop around the bottom of the hook on the front side of the wing and then take the two ends through the middle of the wings and allow the ends of the thread to be pulled down on each side of the hook and then ty off. Hope this helps.

user posted image

I take a pretty easy approach.

I'll pull out my duck quill and using a bodkin seperate the barbules for a suitable piece. Then I take this piece and trim the bottom so its all the way even across. Then I take it and fold it (lengthwise) and tie it in. Then I take my bodkin and run it down the center of the wing, splitting it. Works good!