Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Baitfish Perdigon

The Perdigon is a very popular euro nymphing fly that is pretty simple to tie and is very effective.  The tunsten bead makes for a heavy fly that reaches the bottom to where the trout are quickly and riding hook point up helps keep it from snagging on the bottom as easily.   When I moved to Texas, I noticed the perdigon worked well also for sunfish, crappie and bass.  So I decided to work at making a small version to mimic some of the other food sources these fish target, namely small fish fry.  While not as easy or quick to tie as the regular perdigon, it is rather quick.  And speed could be increased if you dont worry as much about the fancy eyes.  Heck just a simple dot of black resin by the front of the fly could do it also.  And that would be much quicker than worrying about the eyes. 

This fly also can be tied in a number of different colors.  Just change up thread color, bead color, flash color and tail color.  The resin comes in a number of different colors also and you can swap out colors to make different designs as well.  You can also tie it with different tail materials and more options and also a host of different fly sizes.  Just get creative and have fun.  

After posting some pictures of these on Instagram I had someone comment on the pictures telling me these closely resemble some flies tied by foppazonker on Instagram.  I looked and sure enough they are quite close.  So I want to give credit where credit is due, it seems like this fly has been tied by someone else in the past.  Or at least a similar fly.  I did not know of this tier before posting those pictures, however I feel I should mention his as they are similar.  Go check out his instagram if you wish, he has some pretty cool patterns on there.