Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Swamp Fly

River and Creek Fishing

Because the water was so low, the caves from the last few years were high and dry, especially if the substrate was clay based.  I came across more than a couple of sections that had thousands of holes per 100 yds.  That really doesn't seem to be an issue during normal years, but when those creeks get flooded from a tropical system or other major rain event I'll bet an extra 10-14 inches will come off the bank because they are full of holes.  Yes they are egg eaters, I imagine it depends on the population of the plecos or the concentration of the nests they are raiding as to whether they make a significant impact.  Bream beds might take a pretty good hit, not sure.  I haven't observed them eating much algae that is in loose clumps but I see them scraping growth off of surfaces, that is one of the reasons many Loricariidae are popular in the aquarium hobby.  This is where I'm not sure what to think. That film feeds a lots of small fish and fish fry.  I think one of the biggest impacts that they have is with water clarity.  Together with the also exotic invasive Hoplo catfish they will muddy up the water completely.  Don't get me wrong, they are cool looking fish but I think they have a pretty serious impact on our water ways.

@ Capt Bob  That must be a tough pill to swallow.  I hope that you are able to continue to absorb the cost for a while yet but I would blame you if you couldn't. 

Good stuff Swamp! Glad to see you’ve been enjoying yourself. I’m sure that canoe has opened up some great skinny water adventures. Fisheating creek is 10 miles from my house and a lot of fond memories have been made there also. Thanks for sharing 

I still like the bigger canoe for some things but the  solo sure makes it easy. I've been watching the USGS Fisheating Creek site.  The water level has come up but zero discharge so far .  Once I see flow I'm going.  That place is as close to precolumbian Florida as it gets. Can't wait.  I just hope it doesn't go from zero to blown out overnight.