Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Hard

Black Drake

My freind tells me that there will soon be a hatch of big black drakes. Does anyone have a photo of this mayfly, or a pattern? Dry, nymph or emerger?

Never heard of a black drake. I wonder if it's the same thing as a Slate Drake. They're usually tied on 12 2XL. Try looking under Leadwing Coachman, White Glove Howdy or if I got the spelling correct Isonychia bicolor.

I never heard of one either thats why I asked. I am thinking a fair size black dry fly should work, There are alot of different styles. I will toy with them till I find the one I like the best

If you tie some catskill dries, parachutes, and emergers in dark olives to black, you should cover the hatch. tie them in size 8-14 dry. I have never heard of the black drakes either, but some of the green drakes I have seen were dark enough to be mistaken for black.

Here is a pattern I found for the nymph

Black Drake

Hook - streamer 4X size 10
Thread - grey
Tail - guinea hackle fibers
Body - natural grey beaver belly with some guard hairs
Wingcase - black ostrich short
Hackle - guinea hackle beard style

The Ephmera Danica is the largest mayfly here in Sweden. It can vary from dark (black drake) to light in it's colour . Where I fish it's kinda light coloured, so I use this imitation when they are hatching. The hackle is winded under the body, creates a great footprint!

post-22-1117689082.jpg

QUOTE (Brewer @ Jun 2 2005, 06:34 AM)
what about a black gnat ??

The Danica is aprox. 25 mm long so you'll have to tie it on a long dry hock in that case.