Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fishyman

Greetings,salutations, and other ammenities.

Like I said, greetings all.....

Thought I should take a minute and introduce myself to the group. My names Scott, I live in Indianapolis and I've got a problem. They say the first step in understanding your problem is admitting that you have one, sooo.....I have one

It all started innocently enough some 30+ years ago in my youth. I grew up and spent most of my life in Northern Indiana on the shores of Lake Michigan. I started with spincasting for panfish in city parks and farm ponds. Later I would move up to B.A.S.S. Fishing Tournaments and lusting after sparkley fiberglass boats. I eventually tired of all the noise and pressure (besides the fact that I don't look good in flashy vests with a cheek full of RedMan) and moved to Salmon and Steelhead fishing on the Lake and its tributaries.

About year ago my wife and I moved south to Indianapolis and thats when things started to spiral. The combination of not knowing anyone and being in a major city that seemed so far removed from the farms and creeks I had known all my life really got to me. If it wasn't for the occassional weekend trip back home for Winter Steel I'm sure I wouldn't have made it.

One evening this past January my wife and I were in a local outdoor store and saw a posting for beginning fly tying classes being offered by a local club. I had tied (tyed?) some basic patterns for Steelhead previously and had most of the basic tools so I figured I'd give it a shot. I found I had a bit of a knack for it and really enjoyed it after being shown some of the tricks and skills I hadn't learned from books.

To make a long story somewhat shorter, I now know the guys at my local fly shop quite well (doesn't help that it's five minutes from my house), I have a corner of our office permanantly set up for tying, and actually bought a fly rod and reel which has already produced quite a few panfish and most recently some smallies ( the final nail in the coffin was that first river Smallmouth).

Anyway, I've been following the site for a few months already and finally decided I should join and throw in my .02 occassionally. Hopefully I can be a usefull member of what seems to be a great bunch of like-minded folks and an awesome site.

Thanks for letting me ramble.....

Fishyman (aka Scott)

thumbup.gif

Welcome to the forum Scott. I live in Cincy but almost exclusively fish Indiana water and is well worth the 1 hr+ drive every weekend, you guys have some beautiful Smallmouth streams.

I'm sure you'll like it here, feel free to jump in and make yourself at home wink.gif

Thank you Smallie. I've seen some of the pics of you and Leaky Waders fish.

I'm just now starting to scout the local waters. An old truck, half tank of gas and my Gazzeteer map was all it took to catch a few small ones this weekend. I'm hooked now, may never fish stillwater again!! yahoo.gif

So, you know Indy area waters eh??? shifty.gif

Fishyman.

I mostly fish southern Indiana but got a tip about a stream in western part of the state that I plan on hitting in a few weeks. If your interested I will let you know when I plan on making it up. wink.gif

Welcome aboard Scott. Don't worry, we'll break you of that nasty habit as soon as we can......(bass) laugh.gif

Welcome to the site and have fun. As you can tell we joke around almost as much as we fish around this place wink.gif

SD

Hello scott!

Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear about you taking up tying. I hope you have a spare room or basement, because a corner of the office is not going to be enough! I use to have a room/office for the computer and I made space for my tying things. NOW, I have a room for my tying materials and I make space for the computer. laugh.gif

BFR

Smallie....

By all means let me know when you're coming! I'll gladly trade lunch for a morning or afternoon of tips. The more I look around, the more water I'm finding close to here that I want to explore!

Fishy. thumbsup.gif