Fly Tying
jamie shard

Hen Hackle for buggers

So, here's what I'm looking for: a grey and white speckled soft hackle that is long enough to use as a wooley bugger hackle, but could also be used in the place of hungarian partridge for soft hackle flies/nymph legs.

(Am I describing it well enough? Something with a strong enough stem and long enough to palmer over about 1.5 inches, something with nice markings like partridge hackle...?)

Does it exist?

-jamie

jamie,

You might try something like this: http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/NM-790072-0000

I have some of those feathers and they may be long enough to do a bugger with(depends on the size of the bugger). If one feather doesn't work you can wrap as far as you can with one and then tie in another feather to complete it.

Give them a call and they should be able to let you know an estimated size range for the feathers. dunno.gif

yep, that is good stuff. It's a great substitute for partridge but I don't think it would be big enough to hackle a bugger with though.

QUOTE (jamie shard @ Jun 16 2005, 05:00 PM)
Thanks smallieH... look at what I found on the same site:

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/NM-790073-0000

bugeyes.gif

Anybody have experience with this product???

-jamie

that is great stuff, smallies right tho, but i wrap two feathers for the buggers.

that stuff also comes with the two sides, and chickaboo if you can find it.

the feathers and chickboo work great together for smaller buggers

http://cgi1.ebay.ca/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?V...item=7144560684

(this is the quickest link i could find), the chickaboo makes a great tail, and the feathers make a great hackle ??, they are also the same color, if you can get them a lite enough color, you can dye em with kool-aid, the blue comes out nice.

the only problem is, your limited to sizes, as in smaller, or micro buggers

Hello Jamie,

I think that grizzly hackle (bleached, dyed and natural) is your best bet for 1) getting a nice black and white barring effect, and 2) being able to hackle a streamer on a 4x long hook.

BTW, have you seen the feathers that Ronn Lucas has to offer? Very Nice, indeed!

post-2-1119049867.jpg

bugeyes.gif

I met a guy that was raising emus. He gave me some feathers that might serve your purpose. The color is fairly non descript but you could dye them. They might be a little stiff also. Come to think of it, they probably wouldn't work. But maybe some one out there could suggest a use for them.

Thanks,

Steve

Check out the JV hen skins from Conranch Hackle their excellent and if you call and talk to Denny and Liz and tell them what you're looking for they'll try and help you out.

www.conranch.com

Hope this helps,

Fatman